Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going to replace gasket with a Rutland on Friday, can I use the adhesive that is in the kit?

Discussion title says it all, just wondering if I need to go to a Auto parts store for permatex stuff?
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    This is what I have.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    no don't use that.  from what i understand the temp rating isn't high enough.  you need the copper permatex (about $5) any auto parts store should have it.  image
  • Scottborasjr
    That's the answer I was looking for @U_tarded
  • U_tarded
    no problem...thats what we do.  
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    IMHO, only fix the top gasket and leave the bottom without gasket. Make sure you readjust the bite.

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Scottborasjr
    @FlyingTivo what's your logic there? I was going to do the opposite.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2013

Rutland on the large and small are both on the dome.

1.  Eggs crack.  In learning by my own and others experiences, they crack in this order....starting with most common....Firebox, Firering, Base.  If, or when, my base cracks, I will not have to reinstall another gasket.

2.  As you can see on the left, the Rutland looks almost brand new.  All it sees are high temps, no grease.  The heat from the inverted platesetter and wok doesn't dril it and it doesn't get gunked up with sauces, grease, etc.

The greasy/grillin' egg on the left has nomex.  Holding up ok at this point, but definitely charred and seasoned. 

Both ways are just fine.  Think briefly and decide what works best for you.

Some will argue that fibers fall into your food when raising the dome???  Even if they did fall, then putting it on the bottom keeps the gasket from getting disturbed when opening and closing???

They've got to try harder to scare this onc RN.  :))

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I agree totally with Focker...putting the Rutland on the dome is best.... :\">
  • tech284
    tech284 Posts: 34
    Sorry I just want to clarify on the Rutland gasket you don't need it on the top and bottom ? or will it not close right with it on both ?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Yeah, just on one hemisphere.  It won't close right if you do both.
    10:4 one more question and I will shut up already. How much longer does this gasket last than a normal one ?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    They can last years longer, based on all the braggarts with Rutland gaskets on this forum. ;)
    edited March 2013
    tech284 said:
     How much longer does this gasket last than a normal one ?
    With Rutlands 2200º heat rating, I'd argue it lasts a lifetime.  If you're going to ever get a failure, it would most likely be the Permatex Ultra Copper which could easily be dabbed under the loose gasket and good to go again without replacing the whole gasket again.  Having said that, I've rarely heard of even the Permatex failing.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• U_tarded
    I have bad dome to base fit and there is some singes in the back by the hinge but nothing major at all
  • tech284
    tech284 Posts: 34
    I have only had mine for a little over 1 month but when the gasket goes I'm on board with the Rutland if it last that long
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    The Rutland cement dries very hard and is extremely difficult to remove if you should need to do so.  The Permatex will stand up to any heat you are likely to generate and is much more forgiving.
  • IMHO, only fix the top gasket and leave the bottom without gasket. Make sure you readjust the bite.

Felipe
    I do not want to hi-jack this thread, but how do you readjust the bite? I am having this exact problem. I installed a new gasket on my XL and the bite is off. Thanks 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Loosen the bands and the dome will move around. Put zip tie on the spring though. If you giggle the very back ( flat black part over hinge) you can move the dome from to back. Have someone hold dome in place once you get it centered and retighten bolts. You can do it alone but sometimes dome slides when tightening bolts without pressure on dome
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I also put my gasket on the top only. I removed my dome, glued my gasket on and set it down on a flat surface to dry. The next day, I put back together and re-aligned.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig