Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Easter Ham

2»

Comments

• grege345grege345 Posts: 3,392
    I read somewhere 20 min a pound but don't remember what temp they were holding. I am in ham recipe overload
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

·
  • EddieK76EddieK76 Posts: 415
    I think Egret's recipe says at 250 temp it'll take 5 hours for a 10-12 lb ham. :)
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,236
    edited March 2013
    I am seeing conflicting IT to cook to. Some say 145, some say 165. Any thoughts? Still a little confused about the skin. @Mickey, you just leave your skin on even when you slice it? I would just think it would taste like leather and prevent the ham from getting smoke.
    EDIT--- Oh, and forgot to add, this is not a precooked ham. So, anything I can do to it to get the traditional ham flavoring?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    All depends on the internal temperature at the start and the cooking temperature!  I am doing 12 pound spirel, and am going by the directions except cooking it on the egg, but intend on resting it in a cooler until serving time.  In other words "finishing it early and holding it"..
    ·
    Sorry, earlier in the thread all that was discussed. I was planning on 250 dome with some smoke. Was planning on egret's ham with injection and glaze.
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    That sounds good!  No smoke here since it is spirel cut and i am afraid to overdue it.  I have a problem with "open" meat getting too much smoke taste inside like meatloaf...
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,219
    Chubbs, if it's fresh, you should cook it to 160-165.  If it's pre-cooked, 140-145 (basically you're warming it up).

·
    Chubbs, if it's fresh, you should cook it to 160-165.  If it's pre-cooked, 140-145 (basically you're warming it up).
    That is what I figured. Do you have experience with them? Trying to determine when to put on egg for a 4pm meal.
    ·
    I've done a few hams.  The general cooking guidelines are on the package.  Use that as a base, and if you want it done faster, cook hotter, more smoke and slower, cook longer.   It's very forgiving.

·
    Where are people buying pre-cooked ham shank? All I saw was pre-cooked spiral or fresh. Oh well, looking forward to trying something new.
    ·
    I'd rather have fresh cured unsmoked.  It dries out a little more every time it's warmed up.

·
  • fletcherfamfletcherfam Posts: 873
    @ chubbs, if it is fresh I am hoping it is at least cured? If it is not I am pretty sure it needs to be cured prior for cooking (I have been wrong before).
    ·
    @fletcherfam You're right - if it isn't cured then it'll taste like roast pork.  The curing gives it the ham flavor.  Usually they are - especially if they're called "ham".  It would probably say "uncured ham" if not cured.

·

@fletcherfam You're right - if it isn't cured then it'll taste like roast pork.  The curing gives it the ham flavor.  Usually they are - especially if they're called "ham".  It would probably say "uncured ham" if not cured.

It is definitely not cured. Pissed. I will send a video from YouTube on how I plan to cook it.
    ·
    @chubbs, here is my unsolicited advice. Go to your local butcher if you have one and pick up a cured/smoked ham, cook it egrets style for Easter. Leave the other one till early next week and figure out how to cure it in your fridge/smoke it. You will have a lot of ham, but you can turn it into ham steaks, cubed for omlettes/breakfast hash, cubed for soups. We find lots of ways to use ham.
    ·

@chubbs, here is my unsolicited advice. Go to your local butcher if you have one and pick up a cured/smoked ham, cook it egrets style for Easter. Leave the other one till early next week and figure out how to cure it in your fridge/smoke it. You will have a lot of ham, but you can turn it into ham steaks, cubed for omlettes/breakfast hash, cubed for soups. We find lots of ways to use ham.

That's what I just did. Butcher only had spiral so that will have to work.

Now to cure this other one. Guess I will look through charcuterie
    ·
    Well, I guess the good news is you found out about it before you ate it on Easter.
    ·