Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easter Ham

2»

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I read somewhere 20 min a pound but don't remember what temp they were holding. I am in ham recipe overload
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    I think Egret's recipe says at 250 temp it'll take 5 hours for a 10-12 lb ham. :)
    Large BGE

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited March 2013
    <P>I am seeing conflicting IT to cook to. Some say 145, some say 165. Any thoughts? Still a little confused about the skin. @Mickey, you just leave your skin on even when you slice it? I would just think it would taste like leather and prevent the ham from getting smoke. </P>
    <P>EDIT--- Oh, and forgot to add, this is not a precooked ham. So, anything I can do to it to get the traditional ham flavoring? </P>
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    All depends on the internal temperature at the start and the cooking temperature!  I am doing 12 pound spirel, and am going by the directions except cooking it on the egg, but intend on resting it in a cooler until serving time.  In other words "finishing it early and holding it"..
  • Chubbs
    Sorry, earlier in the thread all that was discussed. I was planning on 250 dome with some smoke. Was planning on egret's ham with injection and glaze.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    That sounds good!  No smoke here since it is spirel cut and i am afraid to overdue it.  I have a problem with "open" meat getting too much smoke taste inside like meatloaf...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Chubbs, if it's fresh, you should cook it to 160-165.  If it's pre-cooked, 140-145 (basically you're warming it up).
    Chubbs, if it's fresh, you should cook it to 160-165.  If it's pre-cooked, 140-145 (basically you're warming it up).
    That is what I figured. Do you have experience with them? Trying to determine when to put on egg for a 4pm meal.
  • nolaegghead
    I've done a few hams.  The general cooking guidelines are on the package.  Use that as a base, and if you want it done faster, cook hotter, more smoke and slower, cook longer.   It's very forgiving.
    Where are people buying pre-cooked ham shank? All I saw was pre-cooked spiral or fresh. Oh well, looking forward to trying something new.
  • nolaegghead
    I'd rather have fresh cured unsmoked.  It dries out a little more every time it's warmed up.
    @ chubbs, if it is fresh I am hoping it is at least cured? If it is not I am pretty sure it needs to be cured prior for cooking (I have been wrong before).
  • nolaegghead
    @fletcherfam You're right - if it isn't cured then it'll taste like roast pork.  The curing gives it the ham flavor.  Usually they are - especially if they're called "ham".  It would probably say "uncured ham" if not cured.

@fletcherfam You're right - if it isn't cured then it'll taste like roast pork.  The curing gives it the ham flavor.  Usually they are - especially if they're called "ham".  It would probably say "uncured ham" if not cured.

It is definitely not cured. Pissed. I will send a video from YouTube on how I plan to cook it.
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    @chubbs, here is my unsolicited advice. Go to your local butcher if you have one and pick up a cured/smoked ham, cook it egrets style for Easter. Leave the other one till early next week and figure out how to cure it in your fridge/smoke it. You will have a lot of ham, but you can turn it into ham steaks, cubed for omlettes/breakfast hash, cubed for soups. We find lots of ways to use ham.
  • Chubbs

@chubbs, here is my unsolicited advice. Go to your local butcher if you have one and pick up a cured/smoked ham, cook it egrets style for Easter. Leave the other one till early next week and figure out how to cure it in your fridge/smoke it. You will have a lot of ham, but you can turn it into ham steaks, cubed for omlettes/breakfast hash, cubed for soups. We find lots of ways to use ham.

That's what I just did. Butcher only had spiral so that will have to work.

Now to cure this other one. Guess I will look through charcuterie
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Well, I guess the good news is you found out about it before you ate it on Easter.