Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Waaay off Topic but had to share it (Running time record)

Options
So I have been doing the weightloss competition and the weight has not been coming off that well due to eating habits since we just had our third kid. I have however been relatively consistent in working out and have now found a combination that I really enjoy. 3 days a week I do a kettlebell workout/routine then 2 to 3 days a week I run. Well went for a run today as it is not raining or freezing here in the NW and I ran an average of 11 minutes mile for 3.15 miles!!! A new record for me!!!

Now I know that isn't fast at all, but for an overweight non-sports type like me that is moving like lightning. Feel really good after the run too!

Go for a run!

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Nice work! Realistic goals are the best motivators.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Exercise. What a concept!! It really does make you feel good. I always get addicted to it for a while, then somehow (unlike other addictions) I kick the habit ;)

Your post is inspirational. Not even sure I could run 3 miles.

Good luck and keep cranking!! It sure gets easier with the less weight you gotta haul.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Damn, I get winded riding in a golf cart. Good for you really!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• yellowdogbbq
    Options
    Congrats!  Keep working at it, 10 minute miles will be next. 
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Awesome.
    Owe as much of that to the kettle bells. Beast mode workout. If you were just running your time wouldn't be as good. Kettle bells are monsters for functional strength and performance.
    Keep up awesome work. Sounds like you're ready to do a 5K now. Fun way to show off improvements. And that's a solid time for a race and you'll be 5-10% just bc of race. It's a win-win!
    Boom
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Good job....when I started jogging I only went from one telephone pole to another and then after awhile  I was running 16km 3x a week.It takes time just be persistant and dedicated and you can do it!!!!! I wasnt meant to be skinny but I am healthy as I can be.

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    Good job Fletch so you signing up for that half?
    Lynnwood WA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,843
    Options
    Strong work.  5 years ago I found myself sitting at my kids soccer practices 4 nights a week having the same conversations over and over again with the same parents - all the while gaining weight.... so I started jogging around the soccer fields. At first I did about a mile in 15 minutes and thought I was going to die.  Over the years I got up to 6 miles in an hour.  Keep at it.  You'll make it to 10 minute miles.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,765
    Options
    man do i hate running
    :)) 3 miles is good. just started with barbells and might pick up some oars for the rowboat instead of a new trolling battery for the spring, thats the only way ill use the oars...no motor
    :Di can tell you that never having been to a gym, the weights im clueless with
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    Options
    Great job...my daughters got me into running 3 years ago...I'm not fast....11 min miles is about the best I can do but I have run over 50 5Ks and several 10 Ks and one half marathon. Also have done 3 triathalons....keep up the good work!
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Options
    @FanOfFanboys, I agree with you one hundred percent. The Kettlebells are killer workouts and I really like them, they give me whole body strength in muscles I didn't know were there.

@Double, there is a good chance. There is a trail run 1/2 marathon in Redmond at the end of August that is really flat that sounds fun. I think I am going to start signing up for some 5ks to keep motivated.