Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Well this sucks...

13»

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    You can do it, Griffin! I need to make more consistent lifestyle changes as well. I'm always on and off diets. And I am paying for a gym membership every month when I rarely use it. This is just one of those things in life that's going to be uncomfortable at first, but I know you got it in you to get through it. You are Jason Freakin' Griffin... \m/ Egg Master.
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    It is very manageable, take the classes, get a meter, and eat to your meter (you'll figure that one out soon, don't want to overload you).  And there will be lots of emotions, it's normal.  The nice thing is, with the Egg you can still eat a lot of what you are used to eating, with some small adjustments.  Less sugar in rubs and sauces and leaner cuts of meats, but still plenty of things you can have.    

This is sort of an 'alternative' site, but lots of good information.

Another site with a good active community is...

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Logger said:
    Actually, bourbon and other alcohol (and how they are consumed) is not as bad as one thinks. 
    There is going to be a learning curve here but, I'm sure you're up to it.

Mixing Alcohol and Diabetes can be quite dangerous. It is important to know your limits and to be smart about imbibing(make sure you are eating something)

Here is a page at the ADA that can be helpful.
     You really do not have to totally skip the booze. Alcohol like bourdon, scotch, gin and vodka can be ok as long as you do not mix it with something that has sugar, etc in it.  By themselves, these drinks will actually lower the blood sugar. Should you ever get to the point that you are having to use fast-acting insulin, you will have to factor the alcohol in your unit measurements. If one is diagnosed with diabetes early in life then most likely that person will be eventually have to use some form of insulin.... basal, fast-acting or a combination of both.  That is when you have to watch the alcohol amounts. By the way, ADA stands for "Against Diabetics Always". They recommend way too many carbs for good control. Protein (including a little dairy) and lots of veggies (all colors) is all you need. You will get all of the nutrients and fiber your body needs.
    LBGE and Mini
  • Sorry to here this! Just do as you are told and I'm sure an occasional bourbon and coke can still be enjoyed.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Good Luck Griff. I really think that eggin' will fit right in with a good diet plan. I too was questioned about this same thing about a year ago. my doc said to change a few things (and I did for a little while) but she was in favor of the "Egg" just change a few things. Good Luck my friend! -- Gary
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Griff..
     i have been a Type Two Diabetic for over 20 years. A lot of stuff is out there is just plain BS. If you would like to talk about stuff, just let me know and we can talk on phone. Loved meeting and you wife at Salado.

Springram
    LBGE and Mini
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034

Oh sure!!!

You will do anything to win the weight loss comp, your not even entered in [-(

Hey Jason

**** news, but I see you taking this and turning it into a positive.

Watching your cooking the last few years, I think you will take a diabetic diet to a new level.

I have many co-workers with diabetes, some do what they are supposed to and are completely fine. Others mismanage(drinking/diet)  and lose toes or end up in the hospital for a month. This just happen to a friend of ours.

Looks like you have a ton of support here and will have this under control easily.

Shane

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    That sucks, not a fun disease as it seems to affect all aspects of your life.  
    Five years ago my wife was diagnosed as diabetic, her readings were borderline.  She always skipped breakfast and occasionally did not eat lunch.  I had been on her back about this not being good for years but after the doctors visit she changes to a more regular eating schedule and her readings have been normal ever since.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Yup, @Mr_Holloway , that is exactly what my plan was. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    have a few friends diabetic, the only ones with problems drinking are the 2 in the morning 7 days a week bar drinking  partiers. ones really paying for it now, but judging from your cooks, your not that guy. my grandmother lived into her 90's as a diabetic, overweight til the end, never drank but ate hotdogs every day for the last 30 or so years. i think most of the difficulties are with the extreme drinking folks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • toothpick
    toothpick Posts: 154
    Sorry to hear this Griffin. Take good care of yourself. Thanks too for posting the warning signs. I know you'll get this under control. Thanks for sharing it with us.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Just for clarification: I never said you need to skip booze, just do it in moderation. @Springram is right, alcohol can cause hypoglycemia so you need to make sure you are doing something to maintain a normal blood sugar(eating). I only disagreed because pejorative use of a advocacy group's name can cause one to discount anything they may say. All diabetics are different because every single person is different. What works for some may not work for others. The best advice is to listen to your doctor and use peer-reviewed resources along with friend's advice to figure out what is best for you.