Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LBGE at Sam's

Options
13»

Comments

• Firemedic183
    Options
    When I purchased my Medium BGE last week I went to the mothership website to do a dealer search within 100 miles of my area (Oklahoma City).  I contacted every dealer on the list provided and went with the best deal.  I got the Medium BGE for $625.00, an egg nest for $100.65, the cover for $75.00, a bag of BGE lump for $23.99, a plate setter for $35.00, an ash tool for $10.00, and instant fire starter pack for $6.57 and a BGE cookbook for free that had a price tag of $16.00 on it.  My total walking out of the store was 949.59 after tax.  The staff was very helpful and friendly.  They told me to call back in April when their egg tables would be going on sale at a steep discount.  Another dealer in the area wanted $679 for the Medium BGE, $170 for the nest, and $75 for the plate setter.  The moral of the story is that it pays to shop around, and I am happy I was still able to get it from an authorized dealer to qualify for the BGE warranty.
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • JMSetzler
    JMSetzler Posts: 75
    Options
    I got a response today but they didn't particularly address the questions....

Hello John,

I apologize for the delay in getting back with you, and I hope the response below answers your questions.

Big Green Egg does not extend warranty coverage to EGG products once they are resold by private parties or resold through an entity who may be falsely purporting to be an authorized reseller of BGE products - in both these instances the person buying the product is not the original purchaser.  Please refer to the Big Green Egg website for warranty information:  "Big Green Egg does not distribute its products through discount clubs or discount chain stores, or through internet or e-commerce sites, and any such entity offering Big Green Eggs is an unauthorized reseller any may have obtained the merchandise through fraudulent or other improper means. Like many other companies, BGE does not extend warranty coverage to products purchased from unauthorized resellers or resold by private parties, and consumers are advised to check the Dealer Locator to verify the legitimacy of any reseller before making a purchase."  

While we do wish there were a practical way to identify in advance those entities who acquire our products with the intention of re-selling them - because these entities are acting without our knowledge or approval it is virtually impossible to monitor.  Thanks again for your support of the Big Green Egg -- often copied, never matched!

The Big Green Egg Customer Service Team

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 1:28 PM, John Setzler wrote:

Dear Big Green Egg,

My name is John Setzler and I operate a Kamado Cooking forum online called (omitted for eggheadforum post).  This is a site that is open to all kamado enthusiasts regardless of brand.  We have over 2000 registered members including a lot of Big Green Egg owners and potential buyers.  We have a few questions that we would like to ask...

1.  Sam's Club is selling a Large Big Green Egg with side tables and a nest for $899.  According to your registration page, the warranty will not be honored on this purchase.  Is this true or false?

2.  If a buyer makes this purchase from Sam's Club will he/she receive any support if needed from Big Green Egg or will they be dependent on Sam's Club for warranty and satisfaction issues?

3.  If Big Green Egg will not honor a warranty on a Sam's Club purchase, how is the buyer to be made aware of this prior to the purchase?

4.  What is Big Green Egg doing to prevent unauthorized dealers from selling their product to the public?

Thanks in advance for your response!  Our forum members are eagerly anticipating your response on these issues.  Your grills are amazing and you have a lot of fans with us!

Thanks!

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Now that's classy @JMSetzler - you ask very specific questions, and it takes them 4 days to get back to you with a very nonspecific response.

I think when this issue came up a year or so ago (was it at Sam's or Costco?), their response was along the lines of " I don't know how they got those eggs to sell. Its not like a few eggs "fell off the back of a truck" and found their way into stores. I don't know why they can't come clean about the whole affair. If Sam's is doing something illegal, then BGE should have grounds to lodge a formal complaint and sue (either Sam's or the distributor in question) to put an end to this ambiguity. The customer gets stuck in the middle and it just doesn't sound like good business practice.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Sounds to me that "IT'S ALL ABOUT MONEY".........   BGE could control this situation thru their dealers and/or THAT dealer that sold the eggs for resale??  It doesn't effect me, so i am not going to worry about it.  For anyone who buys an egg thru Sam's, they would be wise to look into the warrenty BEFORE buying it.  Looks like if the fire box broke after six months, you would have two choices.  Package the whole egg up and return it for your Sam's Club store agreement, or go to your local BGE dealer and buy another fire box....
  • Andymizunogolfer
    Options
    I agree that this is bull from BGE. It is not like they dont know where Sam's/Costco got their product at. They know that Sam's and Costco both have product guarantee warranties. That is why they pretty much wash their hands of the warranty through BGE.