Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salt Crusted Grill Grates?

Options
rtt121
rtt121 Posts: 653
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum
Watching one of my favorite shows, Bizarre Foods on Travel Channel and Andrew Zimmerman (sp?) seemed to be having a religious experience at a restaurant in Argentina that slathered a very heavy salt brine onto the charcoal grill until a salt crust cooked into their mangrates.

Everything was Cow cooked on it thereafter.  Seems like a great idea if your willing to do the extra work of pre-salting your grates/grids.
Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Oh lawd! I foresee a "Saltgrates" thread and avatar in our near future
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Just cook on a salt block. There was a thread circulating on here about salt blocks about 6 months ago.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    All I hear about salt blocks is they inevitably crack. :(  I guess it's kind of a cool conversation piece if you got company watching you cook. :)
    Options

All I hear about salt blocks is they inevitably crack. :(  I guess it's kind of a cool conversation piece if you got company watching you cook. :)

You should try them in a water softener. Phenomenal!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    Options

I heard mangrates are so good they don't even need salt...

• nolaegghead
    Options
    You should try them in a water softener. Phenomenal!
    They do recharge the resin!
    Options

Most of the time it is user error I think-- hot block/ cold water or lay in sink. My advice is shop around and buy some cheaper ones. Then, if they break make salt with it...

Then again, who am I to tell you anything!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Well, I have to admit I've never had one...just read reviews, and you know how that disgruntled minority is so vocal online... ;)  So maybe I'm not giving them a chance.  Sliced bread revolutionized the PBJ, sliced salt might just do the same for, uhhh, salt block cooking?!
    Options
    My salt block has been fine for 6 months or so. Have to bring it up to temp slow and make sure you oil it well pre cook or its a pain to clean. I have had mine up to 600 according to the ir thermometer. I go to super h mart a local Asian super market that sells every type of meat pre sliced and get sliced rib eyes and sear them 30 seconds or so each side and they get eaten up fast. Also love to slice up tri tip into quarter inch strips and sear them on the block.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    an alternative method...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN