Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Warranty Gasket

Options
QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
I got a gasket warranted by my dealer and it is the self-adhesive type.  Does it work well or should I use a better adhesive on it?  Thanks for your help.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That self-adhesive works just fine.   The important thing to know is you need to have an extremely clean surface - no grease or oil.  Mechanically remove the old gasket and adhesive and de-grease it with isopropyl alcohol or acetone.
    Options
    My dealer tried to SELL me a replacement gasket for my "then" warrenteed egg!!!  I took one look at the gasket and another at him -- and decided i didn't want either one!!!  Went and odered a Rutland from RRP
  • chris123stock
    Options
    My dealer tried to SELL me a replacement gasket for my "then" warrenteed egg!!!  I took one look at the gasket and another at him -- and decided i didn't want either one!!!  Went and odered a Rutland from RRP
    Damn you didnt hit him did you? I feel tention. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I contacted the mothership for a replacement gasket and they told me to contact my distributor and that they retail for $19.95.
    Guess I'll be ordering the Rutland as well.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Egg was three months old -- gasket was shot and i hadn't even cooked a pizza yet??  But i was "hooked" on using the egg, planning my next meal as i was cooking one...  He handed me the gasket, and i thought " well, it's better than no gasket, but it was the same as what just burn up?".  Then he said "that'll be sixteen dollars, plus tax!".  I wasn't looking for a cheap "fix", i wanted my egg back in factory condition!!!  These people sell stoves and house heaters, eggs are just a PITA for them -- from what i gathered!!  
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Can you just replace the bottom with a Rutland and be fine?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Andymizunogolfer
    Options

$16 dollars for a factory gasket? Dang some of your dealers are out of their mind on the prices they are charging. I just  paid $6 dollars for a large gasket. The XL was only $7. I am still undecided on going nomex or rutland for my next. Although sounds like a lot of dealers are making a killing on basic items.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Can you just replace the bottom with a Rutland and be fine?
    Yes, or the top, but just one side because the Rutland is twice as thick as the factory gaskets.
    Options
    Does the replacement gasket from the mothership go on both top and bottom?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    QDude said:
    Does the replacement gasket from the mothership go on both top and bottom?
    Yep
    Are gaskets covered under warranty? Ive had my Egg for a week and tonight I did a Pizza on it. Once the Egg cooled I noticed that the gasket was burnt about half way from inside of the Egg. Not happy at all. The temp for the pizza was about 600deg.
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Gasket warranty is one year.  You must have had a felt gasket, they switched to Nomex months ago.

How do you tell the difference? Is there a link to show the 2 different kinds side by side?

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    They look very similar - light grey.  If you get a new gasket (will be free though warranty), the packaging should say what it is.  Don't accept a replacement felt gasket - waste of time putting that on.  Insist on Nomex.