Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best direct heat recipes

Hi All,

I've had my large egg a little over a week and I absolutely love it. I've never considered myself anything more than pretty casual when it comes to grilling (always owned the $99 special grill and cooked an occasional steak or hamburger) but my brother-in-law has an egg and I just got tired of only having amazing food when I'm at his house or when I'm out. Best money I've ever spent - no doubt. Anyway, I'll be getting the plate setter before too long, I'm sure, but I don't have it yet... and just wanted to ask what everyone's favorite "direct heat" recipe is. Over the last week or so, I've done the spatchcock chicken, salmon (recipe my brother in law sent me), steak (trex method), and spicy shrimp (http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1133364/spicy-grilled-shrimp#latest). Any other suggestions to keep me busy until I get the plate setter?

Thanks!
Rob

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Welcome to the forum, Rob!

wings, pork chops, rack of lamb, leg of lamb, kabobs, rolade of some sort, stuffed chicken breasts, sausage, country ribs...
    Nola,

i assume that would include Vampire Sausage.....mmmmmmmmmmm

Springram
    LBGE and Mini
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @Springram - yep, Vampire sausage can be done direct, you just can't store it in direct sunlight or it'll self-combust :D

As for the best direct cook i would have to say the best would be lamb chops 
    Toronto,  Ontario,  Large, Large, Mini Max
  • 350-400 degrees is good for simple direct cooks of:

chicken breasts - EVOO and your choice of rub (dizzy pig rubs!) or salt/pepper and brush on bbq sauce after both sides are grilled.

fish filets - salmon works with John Henry's Pecan Rub or Dizzy pig rubs. You can do it on wood planks or direct with careful flipping.

All veggies - EVOO with salt/pepper or rub of your choice.

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I would continue to eat crap!  Until i could save enough for a plate setter !!  Yes there are other things that can be cooked direct ----  but just too many GREAT things that require a PS!!!  Without the PS , you basically have the same $99.00 grill you have had all your life!!
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    The spider and ceramic stone from Ceramic Grill store is much more versitle than the PS, you can add a 13" cast iron grill and use the spider for searing. I disagree with Charlie, there are many direct cooks that taste better and are moister on the Egg than you can ever get on a $99 grill.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Just read and saw no STEAK!! Nice 1 1/2" ribeye rocks on the egg. 650F about 4-5 mins per side medium rare
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    As MOST(?) forum members know, there are many ways to get to the same result  when cooking on an egg  ---  plate stter vs spider and ceramic stone  --- guess what(?) you end up with indirect cooking!!  WOW !  I wonder what the difference in cost is?  Do i care?  Not really.  Again, the point is there are many other "great" meals that can be cooked indirect AS WELL as direct.  Cooking steak is great on the egg!  Cooking steak on a weber is great!  Cooking steak on a gaser is great.....  GMAB