Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

BGE Warranty Gasket

I got a gasket warranted by my dealer and it is the self-adhesive type.  Does it work well or should I use a better adhesive on it?  Thanks for your help.
A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 8,914
    That self-adhesive works just fine.   The important thing to know is you need to have an extremely clean surface - no grease or oil.  Mechanically remove the old gasket and adhesive and de-grease it with isopropyl alcohol or acetone.

• Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    My dealer tried to SELL me a replacement gasket for my "then" warrenteed egg!!!  I took one look at the gasket and another at him -- and decided i didn't want either one!!!  Went and odered a Rutland from RRP
  • My dealer tried to SELL me a replacement gasket for my "then" warrenteed egg!!!  I took one look at the gasket and another at him -- and decided i didn't want either one!!!  Went and odered a Rutland from RRP
    Damn you didnt hit him did you? I feel tention. 
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 1,264
    edited March 2013
    My dealer tried to SELL me a replacement gasket for my "then" warrenteed egg!!!  I took one look at the gasket and another at him -- and decided i didn't want either one!!!  Went and odered a Rutland from RRP
    I contacted the mothership for a replacement gasket and they told me to contact my distributor and that they retail for $19.95.
    Guess I'll be ordering the Rutland as well.
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    "Ain't nobody gonna find ya, unless you get yourself lost."
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Egg was three months old -- gasket was shot and i hadn't even cooked a pizza yet??  But i was "hooked" on using the egg, planning my next meal as i was cooking one...  He handed me the gasket, and i thought " well, it's better than no gasket, but it was the same as what just burn up?".  Then he said "that'll be sixteen dollars, plus tax!".  I wasn't looking for a cheap "fix", i wanted my egg back in factory condition!!!  These people sell stoves and house heaters, eggs are just a PITA for them -- from what i gathered!!  
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 1,264
    Can you just replace the bottom with a Rutland and be fine?
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    "Ain't nobody gonna find ya, unless you get yourself lost."
  • $16 dollars for a factory gasket? Dang some of your dealers are out of their mind on the prices they are charging. I just  paid $6 dollars for a large gasket. The XL was only $7. I am still undecided on going nomex or rutland for my next. Although sounds like a lot of dealers are making a killing on basic items.

YEMTrey said:
    Can you just replace the bottom with a Rutland and be fine?
    Yes, or the top, but just one side because the Rutland is twice as thick as the factory gaskets.

• QDudeQDude Posts: 422
    Does the replacement gasket from the mothership go on both top and bottom?
    A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!
    QDude said:
    Does the replacement gasket from the mothership go on both top and bottom?
    Yep

• Are gaskets covered under warranty? Ive had my Egg for a week and tonight I did a Pizza on it. Once the Egg cooled I noticed that the gasket was burnt about half way from inside of the Egg. Not happy at all. The temp for the pizza was about 600deg.
    Gasket warranty is one year.  You must have had a felt gasket, they switched to Nomex months ago.

• How do you tell the difference? Is there a link to show the 2 different kinds side by side?

They look very similar - light grey.  If you get a new gasket (will be free though warranty), the packaging should say what it is.  Don't accept a replacement felt gasket - waste of time putting that on.  Insist on Nomex.