Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Question

I saw this at Sams Club yesterday and was wondering if anyone has had experience with it, or if it is good quality lump. The price sure seems right at $14.00 a bag.
Persistence and determination are omnipotent!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited March 2013
    I use that stuff all the time.  Perfectly acceptable. As a matter of fact, I used it last night for grilled oysters and burgers.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Other than it's about one third the price per pound?  It's not as neutral a smoke, but it's not bad in any way unless you don't wait long enough to get good smoke.  I've burned through a couple hundred pounds of that stuff and I keep buying more
    Good point.  The truth is that I have never had any food off of a BGE yet, so it will definitely be trail and error.  
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Yep, I've used it before.. I've found myself using B&B (hickory green bag) lately.. Might have to buy some more to give Best of the West another try.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I bought a bag when Sam's first stocked it about a year ago.  My supplier sells RO.  But i have an open mind on lump and some are much different than others!  The "Best Of The West" bag i bought cost $15.68 at Sam's Club.  I first opened it and noticed it was mainly made from tree limbs -- no big deal.  I used it and it cooked!!  But the next time i opened the egg - there starring back at me was this one piece the size of a football -- tree limb!!  I loaded it up for the next cook and i used the egg for another cook.  Again, the next time i went to load the lump -- there was the same unburnt tree limb!!  I dumped the whole load out -0 filled it with RO and tossed the balance of the Best Of The West in the garbage!!  Now i have been watching the sales of this stuff in my Sam's store  -- they sold about half a pallet quickly, then it sat for three months -- unchanged!!  Now they have it marked down to $14.00  as a clearance item.  But it doesn't seem to be moving???
  • lot of ash and it sparks a lot when getting going but I burned it for a year and liked it. Just make sure the bags aren't beat up and turn them over several times to see if it sounds like lots of dust and shake. The pieces are generally huge. Some you have to break with a hammer. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX