Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

# of people per chicken

Options
I know it depends on the size of the bird, and I seem to have been getting some pretty large birds recently, but generally how many people do you feed per bird?

I've cooked 1 for 4 people twice and have always had quite a bit left over. The birds seem to be somewhere around the 6-8 pound range.

I'm planning my birthday part for next saturday and trying to figure out how birds I need for probably 20 people. Thank goodness I'm getting the CGW swing grate from SWMBO or I wouldnt be able to cook enough!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I can eat 1/2 of a four pounder and not even break a sweat. :D  It's a tough call.  Of the 20 people are there many big eaters?  Any kids?  How many sides?  I would think four or five birds would be plenty.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    i was thinking 5/bird at 6-8 pounds. They're will be about a 50/50 mix of guys/girls and an abundance of booze and sides.
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    The chickens sold in double packages at Sam's Club are like four pounds each.  An eight pound bird is like a "roaster"??  I cook a lot of chicken for parties, and you really have to overcook because it is hard to figure the number of people who eat light meat and dark meat??  I just did a party last weekend for 70 people, and ran out of dark meat early, yet had light meat leftover??  There were other meats for people to eat also.  But i would have guessed i would have run out of light meat first....  I figure a four pound bird yeilds eight pieces of chicken, and an average of two pieces of chicken per person if that is all your are serving is chicken.  So that is four people per bird.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    This is a tricky question. Really depends on sides and appetite of guest. I've eaten a whole chicken before myself. My friend trey does chickens on his egg and does one per person when we have man night. But I think I could feed 4-5 small eaters or women off one bird.

I'd be scared to do less than 8 birds.

XLBGE 
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    Well the good news is if I run out of birds, I've got a freezer stocked full of various venison sausages and cuts of meat that can be thawed on the egg in a jiffy.

I think I'll see how many actually RSVP yes and then probably go for 4/bird. The guys that are coming generally aren't huge eaters like me, but I think we'll have enough sides to make 4/bird work.

Thanks for y'alls help. Now I need a small to do veggies on too while the birds are cooking!
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    I think 4 a bird and sausage sounds good

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The smaller 4 pound yard birds taste much better, IMO.  3 servings per bird.
    Options
    Cook five beer can chickens on that large and you will be good to go -- and they will fit !!