Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pulled beef question....

So I have decided to do some pulled beef for lunch next Sunday. Planning on using it in some tacos/burritos and I didn't want a really bbq sauce flavor an want to keep it more on the Mexican side. To insure the meat remains tender I still wanted to add some form o liquid during the braising stage of the cook. I was thinking beef broth with a little worster sauce. Any thoughts? I am going with hickory for smoke. Thanks all.

Comments

• Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I treated a big beef pot roast like it was a pork butt --  smoked it for a couple of hours, then it went into a throw away foil pan loaded with onions,green pepper and a can of beef broth -- covered!  Cooked at 280 degree dome, to 200 degrees covered, then removed the cover and cooked it to reduce the liquid -- internal temperature was 220 degrees.  takes a long time to reach that temperature, but well worth it.  Got the idea from Hap, here on the forum.
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,080
    Add some cumin.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• rholtrholt Posts: 375
    Great looking cook. I was going to leave the veggies out and cook them separate. I am thinking a little braising liquid is all I need to make these babies pop.
    Those veggies are a knockout in a pulled beef sandwich!!
    Okay. So think about this. What if I did it like a pepper stout beef but pull the meat separate from the veggies so that it would be the best of both worlds? Thought?
    This is the eggdome world here!  Plenty of ways to do pulled beef, i'm just telling you what worked for me.  Hap posted it about a month ago and it looked darn good, so i tried it!  I would do it again.  I think it is better than pulled pork on a sandwich --  and that is saying something!!!
    edited March 2013
    You know what else I thought....just reserving some non shredded beef for the wife and then doing the rest as usual.

What is "as usual"?  I don't know because i have never tried it, but cooking a beef roast like a pork butt isn't going to be the same just because pork butt has so much more fat than a pot roast.

This recipe finished is very much like finished pot roast -- before you pull it.

As usual refers to pulling the beef and mixing it all together with all the veggies and juice and such.

The beef roast will be submerged in the juices of the veggies,beef and the broth.  But will be in one piece to start off with.  Pull as much as you want or as little as you want, or you can continue to cook without a top on it and cook off the liquid which will concentrate all those WONDERFUL flavors into like a gravy!!  All kinds of options depending on what you want..

Thanks for the great advice.