Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wicked Good Lump Size

Options
One reason why I love Wicked Good is the normal size of the lump, however, this one is a little too big :)

Large BGE

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options

My RO source is Walmart, and the other day i was buying a few bags to maintain my ten bag inventory, and i noticed they had some "Best of The West" bags -- small, under ten pound bags.

Someone had opened up one of them, so i checked it out, it was all made from tree limbs pieces??

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    bag and a hammer
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Options
    Just in my first bag of Wicked Good but really liking it so far - nice big pieces that are lasting through multiple cooks. 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options

My RO source is Walmart, and the other day i was buying a few bags to maintain my ten bag inventory, and i noticed they had some "Best of The West" bags -- small, under ten pound bags.

Someone had opened up one of them, so i checked it out, it was all made from tree limbs pieces??

i grab a few of those bags last time i was there because i hadn't tried it in years.  holy fireworks coming out of my mini.  my wife was not impressed.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited March 2013
    Options
    When I am buying RO from WM I always feel the bags up to see how big the chunks are. Sounds sick and prolly should have the WM police called but I ave found if you go to the back of the stack the chunks are usually bigger. I guess that is because hey are on top of the pallet and less handled IDK

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    It's funny a few months ago I switch sources for where I buy my WGWW and the bags that I get now have far bigger pieces. The other bags weren't small by any means, but some of these are noticeably bigger. I've had a couple come through there were basically 3 1/2" dia x 12" to 16" long pieces of tree branch like I would use for a campfire. The only disadvantage I've found is I have to cut these pieces up BEFORE trying put them in my Kingsford Charcoal Kaddy since they don't come close to fitting the mouth of the pour spout. But if you're going to have a problem with lump charcoal, I guess too big is certainly better than too small. I just keep a small ax out in the cabinets for my Egg.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    I bought a bag of Best Of The West from Sam's and there was a tree limb inside the size of a football !!  Well, this piece wouldn't burn, everytime i open the egg to cook on, there sat this tree limb!!
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    After recently running out of my supply of Wicked Good, I was at Walmart and bought 3 bags of RO.  1st bag opened was all small pieces, lot of sparks and burned up pretty fast at 300 - 400 temp.  Thought that was odd.  2nd bag same results.  Did RO change something???  Oh well, my 6 bags of Wicked Good is at Ace Hardware waiting for me to pick it up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I fired up the egg last night for some chicken wings.  Been using nothing but Wicked Good for awhile now and am very pleased.  However last night, I topped off with a bit more Wicked Good, from the same bag, and had so much popping and cracking it was unbelievable. Never had any lump act like this.
    Makes me think something was very off.  Gonna clean the Egg out tonight when I get home to see what I can find in there.  Very odd.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• MontanaBBQ
    Options
    I can honestly say my Egg has never seen anything but WGC WW in it's short time with me. I do plan on trying some of the Real Montana Charcoal, as they seem to have their product pretty dialed in. I've used BGE charcoal in a different ceramic, but was never all that impressed with the size, but it was the flavor that steered me away truthfully. Oak never did much for me as I'm a mesquite boy (5th generation Texan). 
  • YEMTrey
    Options
    Just cleaned it out and think I found the culprit. Broken corner of brick mixed in the lump.
    Steve 

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    Remember this lump come out of big kilns, so there are many things that can be introduced to the product.
  • YEMTrey
    Options
    No complaints. It was puzzling me til I could figure it out is all.
    Steve 

• hotrodkent
    Options
    been wanting to try but can't find it with in 50miles.I'm going to charolette nc from tampa fl next wk,anyone got a place i can stop on may way that wood be easy?