Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I've Been Thinking It Might Be Time To Sell The Large.

Fred19Flintstone
Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum

I can fix up the table and list it all on CL and see what I can get for it.  I bought it used off CL last year and I really enjoy it!  So what's the angle?  It's something I've been thinking about and it's all Cen-Tex's fault.  This is a picture he posted last year:

Sorry for re-hashing bad memories Cen-Tex!  Out of the blue after many years, his Egg cracked!  (I've had dreams of mine suffering the same fate!)  After a few hoops, he got a replacement and was back in business.  I was thinking about selling the large and using the proceeds to help pay for a new one complete with warranty.  I have the same issue with my mini, but that's not as important as getting a large protected with a warranty!

QUESTION:  Do you think I'm crazy? 

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Ummmm....that looks good.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • got it replaced no questions asked. that was after 8 years so it can happen to you!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    If the egg were to crack you'd want a warranty to get it replaced. It's hard to cook those Bronto Burgers without one's egg.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Sounds like a reasonable plan, but I suggest a slight change - get the XXL!

Just kidding. It would mean shelling out some coin to get a new large egg with warranty, but at least you would rest easier knowing that you had the warranty to fall back on if needed in the future. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    You could always just need a base for a few hundred bucks. Then again you could sell and get all new for a few hundred more than your old used.
    Seattle, WA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Go for it, catch Wilma in a weak moment....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Fred, sounds like a plan. And, the price keeps going up. Wemenz like a bargain, always.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I say go for it. My xl has warranty. My med I got used. I don't mind couse I'll always have at least one egg covered.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Fred, I'd do it.  Sell that and get a new one.  Nothing like the smell of fresh gaskets burning.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• DougQ
    DougQ Posts: 30
    On the other hand, maybe it's hatching...

Seriously, I've had my egg since 2006 and my firebox just went. Contacted the mothership, quick trip to the dealer, and new one on its way. That warranty is worth its weight in gold, and considering what these things weigh...

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have had 2 bases crack. The warranty is worth it.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    QUESTION: Do you think I'm crazy?

ANSWER : Hey, I just read this,
    And yes you're crazy,
    But we're all eggheads,
    So we are all, maybe?

Your neighbors to the north will appreciate this. Maybe they'll take her back along with her awkward little antichrist.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,667
    ive had 2 bases replaced, a couple fireboxes, and the spring bands replaced, all lasted for years til one day. one of the bases was on the small, i dont think ive ever seen another small with a cracked base
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I'll give ya two dollars for it. If'n you deliver. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Warranties are worth their weight in gold.  I have two Arab friends, Suq Madiq and his wife, Munchma Quchi, who cracked their Egg.  The mother ship replaced it with no questions asked.
    This is the funniest thing I have read on the forum in however long I have been a member....hands down
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • QUESTION: Do you think I'm crazy?

ANSWER : Hey, I just read this,
    And yes you're crazy,
    But we're all eggheads,
    So we are all, maybe?

Your neighbors to the north will appreciate this. Maybe they'll take her back along with her awkward little antichrist.

I'm not sure what to make of this, but it sounds like you think I should do it... I think?
    Flint, Michigan
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    On the other hand, keep cooking on it and stash a hundred bucks away each month. When you have enough money for a second large, buy it. You'll then have a 2 large combo and a mini. If the CL egg cracks, you'll have a warranty for a large egg. Get the base replaced and keep on egging with 2 larges.

I know it would be dishonest, but the mothership won't ask questions if you have a registered egg.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

I say go for it. My xl has warranty. My med I got used. I don't mind couse I'll alyways have at least one egg covered.

it's best to keep both eggs covered...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Griffin said:

I'll give ya two dollars for it. If'n you deliver. ;)

We might be able to work something out. In addition to the $2, how about free lodging for a couple of weeks and I get to eat Griffin's Grub? Good grub, not the healthy junk!
    Flint, Michigan
  • I have a friend that has been looking for a used one.  Let me know if you are going to sell it.
  • _BR_
    _BR_ Posts: 42
    Chubbs said:
    Warranties are worth their weight in gold.  I have two Arab friends, Suq Madiq and his wife, Munchma Quchi, who cracked their Egg.  The mother ship replaced it with no questions asked.
    This is the funniest thing I have read on the forum in however long I have been a member....hands down
    I second that LMAO!
  • I have a friend that has been looking for a used one.  Let me know if you are going to sell it.

Does your friend want it right away or can he/she wait a couple or three weeks? Gotta broach the subject with Wilma. This could hurt!
    Flint, Michigan
  • hes been bugging me for a year.  no worries.  if you decide to sell, just let me know.  and Good Luck with that conversation.
  • If Owosso doesnt take it let me know.
  • I'm looking to sell the large egg & full size table. I bought them for $650 (with platesetter & pizza stone). I'm pretty firm & not having a fire sale.
    Flint, Michigan