Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket

Options

So my gasket is toast on the base of my egg (happened when doing pizzas tonight). Should I go with the Nomex, Rutland fiberglass, other, or none? I used the nomex before on an older egg with good results. 

I have read the reviews / issues with the Rutland - I survived Baghdad -- I am not overly worried about a the "chance" of lethal fiberglass partials seeping into my food.   

I also read many only install a new gasket on the top...

Suggestions?

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I can only tell you from my own experience.  I have the Rutland after my gasket was totally shot within three months.  I went another six months without a gasket with only effecting my "low and slow" cooks.  Originally i could maintain a low operating temperature of 240 degrees.  As the gasket worsened, this moved up to 270 degrees.  I ordered the Rutland off of an egger(RRP) on "the other" forum -- cheap, excellent service and great instructions.  My biggest shock after the installation, was how much lump i was wasting during "the shutdowns'.  Of course i finished the cook, shut everything up and go eat --never concerned how long my egg was taking to "snuff out" the lump!!  As far as the fiberglass, when it was new i could see fibers sticking out, but quickly they disappeared and it loads up with grease and it seals itself.  Another advantage is the cushion it gives your egg during closing, and every once in a while "things happen" and you will be glad it is there.  Now the Rutland is over two years old, back by the hinged area, my egg has a misaliegnment problem and that area is loose from the ceramic edge -- but still seals well. And there are other good gaskets, but i am satisfied with the Rutland.  
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    I installed a Rutland with high temp silicone on the bottom only last summer after ruining my original gasket doing pizzas. I've been extremely pleased with how well it turned out and how well it works. The last pizza I did last Fall before snow hit, my Egg went nuclear on me. Needle in dome thermometer wrapped around past starting point - she was HOT. Rutland still looks like the day I put it on.
  • BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    Options

@Charlie tuna & @twlangan  did you put it on the base or the lid? Did you use the black cement that comes with the kit? I have an XL I think the longest kit is only 84" I am not sure that will be enough so I will need two I guess -- I will have to watch the gap????

Thanks guys 

• twlangan
    Options
    No, I did not use the cement that came with the kit. Permatex Copper high heat silicone is what is recommended. You can get it from auto parts stores. I put mine on the base only.

Mine is a large. Google search - you may find longer kits for your XL so you won't have to splice. I cut mine at a 45 deg angle where the ends met to eliminate a gap, It worked well. Leave it sit for 24 hrs or so after applying it to let the silicone cure before closing the lid or cooking on it.
  • BigGreenBBQ
    Options
    @twlangan  - I heard this so I looked up the cement and silicone but I saw that the cement was rated to 2000° while the silicone was only rated to 700° -- how is the silicone better?         
  • twlangan
    Options
    I don't recall. All I know is that the research I did on this board back before I pulled the trigger told me to use the Permatex. The cement with the kit is for gluing the gasket onto stove doors. It may not stand up to the weather that an Egg is exposed to. Water, perhaps?
  • Charlie tuna
    Options

I did the same as twlangan. 

I too have a large, but have changed my buddy's ex-large too. 

• BigGreenBBQ
    edited March 2013
    Options

@ Charlie tuna was the 84" long enough or did you use two -- or did you just find a longer gasket?

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    He had to have a longer gasket, even at 84" there's not a lot of scrap leftover doing the large once you bunch the gasket as you are applying it. Or used two.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    RRP (other forum member) cuts the gaskets to the size of the egg -- i had a two or three inch piece left over.  RRP buys a master roll of the gasket material.  Ships the day you order -- i had mine before he ever recieved my check, and the postage is about the same as the gasket.  You buy the Permatex(Copper) from your auto parts store.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    was at ace today grabbing lump, in the back of the store they had the rutland gasket for sale in bulk like 89 cents a foot.  i don't know if all aces do this though
  • BigGreenBBQ
    Options

@U_traded - I am going by there to pick up some pellets -- I'll look to see if they have any

Thanks

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Rutland or commando. I like Rutland.... Feels like a new ride.
    Seattle, WA
  • CigarSmokinEgger
    Options
    Mine is fried in places after just under 3 months of use.  Got almost everything I needed from the first Ace store I visited.  After 2 more Ace stores,  appliance repair stores, Home Depot, Lowes and Wally World, I had to break down and order the Rutland Gasket off Amazon; just over $11 shipped.
  • Magicman_007
    Options
    RRP (other forum member) cuts the gaskets to the size of the egg -- i had a two or three inch piece left over.  RRP buys a master roll of the gasket material.  Ships the day you order -- i had mine before he ever recieved my check, and the postage is about the same as the gasket.  You buy the Permatex(Copper) from your auto parts store.
    How can I find "RPP" so I can order this?  I am not smart enough to know what the "other" forum is :(. Perhaps someone can clue me in.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    How can I find "RPP" so I can order this?  I am not smart enough to know what the "other" forum is :(. Perhaps someone can clue me in.
    greeneggers.com, RRP is a member there.