Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st pizza on the egg

Options
Haven't found a recipe yet so this was nothing exciting just a chef boyaredee box meal but man did it turn out pretty good, could have probably let it cook a little longer. Have no grid raiser or anything yet ( still need to figure out what i need) so i did PS legs down , pizza stone on the grid @550 for about 13-14 min.

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    That looks good, now try making your own dough, and check out the large number topings eggers come up with.  My pizzas just keep getting better.. 
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Options
    Looks good. Raising up a couple of inches helps, I think - also allows some space between the stone and the PS.
  • newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    Options
    That's the plan , just need to search through all these recipes and find one to try. My wife wants to try all the fancy toppings, I'm a simple man I just like the reg ole pepperoni lol. Would it be better if I got one of those grid raisers? Most of the threads I've seen with pizza yall have some type of one? 
  • newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    Options
    also, whats the best way to kill the temp? I put the green top on and shut the  front vent and its still at 300 an hour or so later 
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Options
    That's the way. ... takes some time for these puppies to cool. 
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Options
    couple of small bricks under the stone works well!!! :-h
  • Charlie tuna
    Options

The key to good pizza is the dough -- and all types of dough is tricky "stuff" !  I recently came across one that called for "cake flour" and i substituted "bread flour".  For some reason it was super good for thin crust pizza, i have made it three times with the same results.  It is listed here over the last few weeks.

I maintain my temperatures with the vents -- getting the egg stabilized is the key, not chasing temperatures up and down during the cook.  Noticing how the egg reacts to opening the dome during the pizza cooks...

• sarivers
    sarivers Posts: 67
    Options
    I tried my first pizza tonight. It was not as simple as I expected. It takes a little coordination. The biggest problem was getting the dough to the hot stone. I preheated the stone on the grill then took it inside to put the dough on and then the toppings. It turned out OK but I burned the dough a little on the bottom. Everyone wants to try again.
    Columbia, SC

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @sarivers- get a good pizza peel so you can leave your stone on the egg. My wife bought me the BGE one and it works fine. If you put your dough on your peel then add toppings just make sure to shake the peel a few times to keep the dough loose, then it is off to the stone. If it is stuck when you try to transfer to the stone just lift a corner and gently blow under it and away it will go. All tricks I learned here.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    AH, ZA on the egg. It is way better than take out, for sure.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    I use a stone on top of the grid at gasket level - indirect PS legs up.  I use none stick pizza pans because it is just easier to build the pizza on and handle "on" and "off the egg.  I get a good crispy thin crust pizza.
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Options
    sarivers said:
    I tried my first pizza tonight. It was not as simple as I expected. It takes a little coordination. The biggest problem was getting the dough to the hot stone. I preheated the stone on the grill then took it inside to put the dough on and then the toppings. It turned out OK but I burned the dough a little on the bottom. Everyone wants to try again.

i use partchment paper, make it on a cutting board then grab the parchment paper, slide it on the stone! then when its done slide it back onto the cutting board! very simple and still get the crisp on the bottom! i like to cut it about and inch bigger than the crust,just dont let it hang off the stone :-?