Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Need idiot's guide on making a raised grid

2»

Comments

• bo31210bo31210 Posts: 228
    Here is what I use. Buddy cut a 15 inch circle from expanded metal then cut a smaller cylinder about 4 inches high and welded them together. I place it on the Egg rack which sits on the fire ring. I burned the fool out of it to "season" it. Been using it three years. Told him he should make them commercially! It works great
    image.jpg
    2048 x 1536 - 909K
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 3,733
    from my pre-AR days:

cooling grid from a restaurant supply place, they are sold online too, the legs are foldable and detachable for easy storing and cleaning.

my nut/bolt setup ... carriage bolt head rests on another grid or fire ring ... underside washer notched to allow bolt to get closer to the rim...
    Vaughan, ON, Canada

• Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 2,600
    I am doing it just like @Canugghead. My cooling rack doesn't get used as much after I made the carriage bolt grid.

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky. Waitin to find a Sasquatch to Egg.
  • Que_n_BrewQue_n_Brew Posts: 526
    image I use (3) 4" X 4" stones. This pic shows the SS rack on top but 99% of the time it is on the bottom with the CI grid up top for "raised direct".
    image.jpg
    2057 x 1536 - 928K
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,166
    Buy a grid from academy for $10 then drink 3 beers and use the empty cans to raise the grid.
    i've been egging for nearly a year and still do this.  even though i have a grid extender, and one with stainless bolts i do this to raise my cast iron because i like to use it.  and i like to drink beer everybody wins.
  • acegg77acegg77 Posts: 88
    I went to Home Depot and bought 3 red brick splits (45 cents each.) I wrapped them in foil (not sure why but someone here said to) and perched them on the fire ring with the BGE grid on top. I did a half chicken... about 375 degrees for an hour... incredible. 

I looked for stainless steel carriage bolts but all I could find were zink. Would those poison us if used? The bricks worked great... but am curious about zink or galvanized bolts and washers if used in an Egg.

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 11,017
    You'll be ok with zinc.  They aren't directly in contact with the fire or food.

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 11,017
    Let me amend that and warn you not to heat above 750 F with galvanized bolts/nuts.   Doubtful you'll do that on purpose, but that's right about the melting point.  

• TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,313

Buy a grid from academy for $10 then drink 3 beers and use the empty cans to raise the grid.

Travis's Famous Last Words "Hold my beer and watch this S..t!"

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.