Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone used "The Baking Steel?"

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    gerhardk said:
    I would think with a little use it would be seasoned just like cast iron, my dome vent doesn't rust.

Gerhard
    yep, but in the case of using it in an egg, the main thing ive seen posted is burning bottoms of pizza crust, the stainless might work better for this with a slower heat transfer. but who knows, they probably will do exactly the same thing in an egg. my problem is paying  big bucks for a carbon steel plate knowing it will be outside rusting away
    :D
    I would think that stainless would make burning the bottom worse, main reason commercial kitchens like aluminum pots over stainless is that is far easier to scotch food in a stainless pot.  
    Gerhard
    my daisy is rusty, my castiron grate is rusty, even my stainless rig has rust on it
    :)) i just must be harder on my stuff
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    Focker said:

Andris, the head dude at The Baking Steel.  It was a gift from another egger.  Give him an email.  From what I've been told, he will take care of you. I might be contacting him soon for a 12" for the small.  

@jimreed777,

Pics I forgot to add from earlier

Like a boss. Sweet setup. I bake my pies on a 16" stone from CGS with a 14" BGE stone on the bottom of my adjustable rig. Do you do your pies raised direct on this...or indirect with another stone blocking?

Thanks man. That makes me want to crack the wallet yet again...you suck.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

This has been my best pie thus far.  Inverted platesetter, copper tees, steel.

Will definitely keep your AR setup in mind.

Next one is the sand filled wok setup on the right that fishless recommended...looks promising.

If that doesn't work, I will try the platesetter, grid, stone, copper tees, steel in the middle.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• jimreed777
    edited March 2013
    I go about 600 degrees with this setup

• Focker said:

Andris, the head dude at The Baking Steel.  It was a gift from another egger.  Give him an email.  From what I've been told, he will take care of you. I might be contacting him soon for a 12" for the small.  

@jimreed777,

I got in touch with Andris.  He's more than willing to make more round Steels for us here.  

So the last question is Focker - what size would you get for your Large if you were getting another one?  You mentioned some difficulties with the 16".  Would you recommend a different size?
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    @YouEnjoyMyEgg, think he could put a rim on it so grease/oil don't go over the sides? then you could use it for pizzas and like a griddle?
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    YouEnjoyMyEgg Posts: 168
    edited March 2013
    @YouEnjoyMyEgg, think he could put a rim on it so grease/oil don't go over the sides? then you could use it for pizzas and like a griddle?

EDIT: He replied and said they are going to see what they can come up with.  Sweet!

I'll update as I hear from him.

• Focker
    Focker said:

@jimreed777,

I got in touch with Andris.  He's more than willing to make more round Steels for us here.  

So the last question is Focker - what size would you get for your Large if you were getting another one?  You mentioned some difficulties with the 16".  Would you recommend a different size?
    I'm still playing with setups, but 16" may be a little much for the large with pizzas, as a griddle it is perfect.  Still too early to come to a conclusion.  As stated, steel works so much differently than stone when raised in the dome.  With the 16, I wouldn't go any higher than a couple of inches above the gasket.  I may post results of my attempts this weekend.  Wok with sand and steel is 34lbs total, 14lbs more than platesetter and stone.    

Gonna start at 600 dome and go up from there. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    @YouEnjoyMyEgg, think he could put a rim on it so grease/oil don't go over the sides? then you could use it for pizzas and like a griddle.
    Even without the lip, you can still use it as a griddle for practically everything, except maybe bacon.    
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• jimreed777
    Focker said:
    Focker said:

@jimreed777,

I'm still playing with setups, but 16" may be a little much for the large with pizzas, as a griddle it is perfect.  Still too early to come to a conclusion.  As stated, steel works so much differently than stone when raised in the dome.  With the 16, I wouldn't go any higher than a couple of inches above the gasket.  I may post results of my attempts this weekend.  Wok with sand and steel is 34lbs total, 14lbs more than platesetter and stone.    

Gonna start at 600 dome and go up from there. 
    I am curious about what you are seeing by going high in the dome with the 16 inch Baking Steel. I am on the rig extender with a 16 inch baking stone for my pies and have great results. Is it harder to hold temp on the steel that far from the coals? Are your pies underdone on the bottom or overdone?
  • jimreed777

EDIT: He replied and said they are going to see what they can come up with.  Sweet!

I'll update as I hear from him.

Thanks for taking the lead...maybe a group buy opportunity? That may help to keep the costs down on a limited run of round steels....OR, he can embrace the kamodo/weber grill market and add a round to his options.
  • I have the Baking Steel. I bought the thick one, 1/2 inch. Have not used it yet. But it is a beast. Weighs ~30 pounds. That will be quite the heat sink for pizzas at 600 degrees. Or a fine griddle at lower temps. 
  • fletcherfam
    I would be up for a group buy
  • OK post here if you are interested in the Baking Steel with a rim and I will let Andris know.

Right now we  may have 3:

Jimreed777
    fletcherfam
    youenjoymyegg

Preferred size?  16"?  15"?  
  • JayHawkEye
    JayHawkEye Posts: 196
    I've got an XL, so I'm interested in a big size, but I'm definately interested in one with a rim. Breakfast possibilites abound...
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • Focker

Baking Steel trials #5.  25 lbs of sand and 9 lbs of steel, 720 dome.   

Finally heading in the right direction.  Thanks to BENTE for the sausage and fishless for the setup.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Nice Focker.  The crust, the bottom, the air spaces, it's all looking really good!  I can't wait to get one of these things and start perfecting it.  
  • Focker

Thanks

Last night was trial #6 and the best yet.  Removed most of the sand and used copper tees on the grid, then steel.  Dome of 600 for an hour and steel temp was in the 500s.  Feeling really good about this 16" wok setup.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Haws72688
    Haws72688 Posts: 41
    I am currently in the process of talking with Andris about getting one for my medium. What size diameter should I ask for?  I know it is typically preferred to raise the pizza into the dome, but I want there to still be some air flow around it and I don't know the amount of taper that happens in order to come up with a good size.  Right now we were talking about the 13" diameter.

Also, 1/4" or 1/2" thick?  Does it make that much difference?  I have yet to make pizza at all on the egg, so I don't have too much of a baseline for this.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks!
    Grand Rapids, MI
  • Focker
    edited April 2013

A friend is ordering a 15" diameter for the large, seems to be perfect.  14" would be just fine.  13" seems a little small.  The BGE stone for the large is 14".  I have no problems with the 16", and pick up griddle real estate.

I'd stick with 1/4".  Read this about the 1/4" vs 1/2".  The thicker steel will transfer even more energy, the one thing I am trying to slow down in trials when it comes to the egg.

1/4" 16" diameter weighs a little over 9lbs.  1/2" would be double, 18lbs.  The rectangle is 30lbs in 1/2".

http://www.capecoral-fl.com/cape-coral-pizza/the-pizza-lab-baking-steel-vs-lodge-cast-iron-pizza/

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Haws72688
    Yeah I've been very impressed with the pictures that you've been posting.  When my folks used to make them they always turned out like a very dense bread.  None of those good bubbles, I can't wait to see the change.

I was looking at the 13" because I only have the medium egg.  The BGE stone is 12" but I felt that it was way undersized.

Andris has been a lot of help too, a very nice guy as far as helping me figure this out so far.
    Grand Rapids, MI
  • Focker

Let me know what size you get and price.  Will be calling him soon for a 11 or 12" on my small.

I use the 12" BGE stone on a woo for the small.  Can't help ya with the medium bud.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• fletcherfam
    Weren't we looking at doing a group buy? What's up with that?
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660

OK post here if you are interested in the Baking Steel with a rim and I will let Andris know.

Right now we  may have 3:

Jimreed777
    fletcherfam
    youenjoymyegg

Preferred size?  16"?  15"?  
    I could be interested depending on how much he would charge for shipping to Canada. For size, I would say 14" or 15". What is the size of the BGE pizza stone?

I could be interested depending on how much he would charge for shipping to Canada. For size, I would say 14" or 15". What is the size of the BGE pizza stone?

+1
  • fletcherfam
    So far we have 5 interested, anyone else interested in a group buy?
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    I am in Minnesota and would be interested in knowing what the price is for the group buy.
  • Haws72688
    For the 13" he was charging me the same as their standard baking steel.  Uses less material for the custom cut. I believe it was $79.  Well worth it though if you have a tendency of trashing stones like I do (mine have popped in the oven >< or suffered other accidents)

This left me an inch though on all sides, figured this would let the airflow a little better for those higher temps.

He was very nice and helpful though, I would definitely give him a call. Andris is very passionate about it.
    Grand Rapids, MI
  • Focker

Continental US, anything over $50 is shipped free.  Not a bad deal, considering they will be a little south of 9lbs.

http://bakingsteel.com/shop/

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    I would be interested in a round 16in 1/2in
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin