Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easter Ham

Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum
I am not a huge ham fan so never done one on my egg. But, SWMBO wants a ham for Easter. There will be six eating. What kind of ham, how to cook, etc?

@Mickey I know you posted a naked ham recently. Details? Anyone else?
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    I've had great success wet curing center cut loins and serving like ham.  I have pictures up here somewhere .. It's a lot more manageable for 6 people than an 8-10lb half-ham.  If you have or have access to instacure, picked up a 5lb roast tonight, you would just make it for Easter.  I substitute maple syrup for sugar (gram for gram) in the brine and get very good results.  I then either oven roast it or smoke it over maple wood.  

For glaze i mix brown sugar, more maple syrup, a touch of cinnamon, nutmeg, and black pepper.

You might find this a lot more appealing than store bought ham .. and the small roast is easy to work with.

You have rhulman's recipe? It's on this site somewhere. We are going out for Easter, but doing brunch for my son's bday the following week. I'll definitely be doing one.
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    I did a ham for Christmas. I think it was called Eggrets ham. Below is the thread and some similar questions. We cooked ours in the oven as we wanted to make sure we were done at a certain time.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1146226/ham-it-is#latest

Make sure if you do this recipe you actually get it ready the day before as the directions say. I have seen other people try and do this the day of and it doesn't turn out nearly as well.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited March 2013
    I fell in love with the ham @egret made at the Sunshine State EggFest.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Grandpas Grub ham listed here http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1126809&catid=1 has turned out really good in the pass.  +1 on Egret's ham at the Sunshine State EggFest.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    ask @ Mickey...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I made @egret 's ham for Christmas and it was awesome Maple-Bourbon Ham 281,000 views can't be wrong! 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • krames
    krames Posts: 70
    I am planning on making a ham for Easter as well. The only ones I can seem to find are spiral sliced. Is that going to work on the BGE?
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    @krames that is what I used in the picture above. It makes it easy to get the paste in-between the cuts. Worked great for me.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I been cooking hams for years on just about every holiday. The wife and I don't like turkey so we always have ham. I like to buy a shank portion ham (10-12lb) and do like 300-350 until it hits around 140 IT. I don't put anything on mine. With ham I don't rub, or spray or salt an pepper or anything. I want my ham to taste like ham. I been doing them this way in the oven, on charcoal grills, on the gasser, and a couple months ago on the egg. This is the only way for me. This is the same way @mickey does his too I believe.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    NAKED HAM / SMOKE ONLY Let me start that for the past 6 years i have only cooked Egerts Ham (this is an outstanding ham Egged on the BGE). A short while ago went looking for (did not know this at the time) a naked ham / smoke only. Looking at other ways to do a ham w/o the burbon, maple syrup, brown sugar, NO ANYTHING. Guys this was outstanding ham. It tasted like ham. It was a 7 lb Cooks ham (shank) and NOTHING was put on it (Nothing). Just smoke: both lots of pecan and cherry chunks. Cooked at 300 till 145. I did score the ham deep. Cooked indirect. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    @Mickey... how long.
  • Chubbs
    Nice ham, @Mickey. My eyes were drawn to your pot plant behind it though....
  • Mickey
    henapple said:
    @Mickey... how long.
    2.5 to 3 hours to get to 145
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Chubbs said:
    Sorry but no....

• Chubbs
    Mickey said:
    Chubbs said:
    Sorry but no....
    Joking Mickey... I am torn between Egret's ham and Mickey's ham. Sell me on it, sir.
  • Mickey
    All I can say is Egret's is VERY, VERY good. Cooked it for years. My wife said she wanted just ham, nothing added. So to do as she ask, Naked Ham.  Have done it at Plano and Salado Fests and we recived. But, not much is not well recived when the tasters have had as much to drink as the cooks....... She only wants it that way now.

• henapple
    Chubbs said:

bY
    Mickey said:

Chubbs said:

Sorry but no....
    Joking Mickey... I am torn between Egret's ham and Mickey's ham. Sell me on it, sir.

comes with free mangrates
  • Chubbs
    Oh hell yeah. Mangrate stuffed naked ham?? I am there.
  • henapple
    I was just informed I'm cooking a ham... do I pick up a skank... er, skank? 8-X
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    I searched for a Cook's shanked ham to at my HEB. No find. They did have Smithfield but they all said they were "hardwood smoked". Here is a dummy question......is the Cook's ham already smoked too?    I intend to use Mickey's "naked ham" and just want to do it right.

Springram
    LBGE and Mini
  • henapple
    I intend to use Mickey's "naked ham" and just want to do it right

that's what she said....

sorry
  • Mickey
    Springram said:
    I searched for a Cook's shanked ham to at my HEB. No find. They did have Smithfield but they all said they were "hardwood smoked". Here is a dummy question......is the Cook's ham already smoked too?    I intend to use Mickey's "naked ham" and just want to do it right.

Springram
    Yes, I use Cooks as Cooks Illustrated rated it the top ham. HEB is not carrying them (that I can find). I do not think you will miss anything with the Smithfield......

• henapple
    so you're smoking a cooked ham?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    henapple said:
    so you're smoking a cooked ham?
    Yeah, I was about to ask if it was pre-cooked and cured.  I'm gonna guess yes if you're cooking to 140 and it's as pink as the pink (sex) panther, so it must be cured.
    Yes you are adding smoke.

• Chubbs
    So for clarification, what kind of ham in preferred? I am a ham novice
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited March 2013
    I use the same as Mickey.  A seven to ten pound bone-in shank ham.  I prefer Cooks brand but any will work.  I don't like the spiral cuts as I think they tend to dry out easy.

Mike 

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • krames
    krames Posts: 70
    I saw a cooks ham at Super Target. It was between that and an Archer Farm's spiral cut ham. I took the Archer Farms one. Doh!!

I am just horrible at picking out meat!!
  • Chubbs
    So I got a 12lb bone in fresh ham shank. Correct purchase?
  • Chubbs
    Planning to inject and glaze tonight. Any ideas on how long it will take to get to 145IT? 12lbs bone in ham shank.