Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Ghetto Raised Direct Chicken Thighs

thanks to griffin for posting those crabmeat stuffed chicken thighs, i couldn't get thighs out of my mind. haha. 

so last night we stuffed a few with bacon, arugula, and provolone. seasoned with evoo, salt, pepper, & paprika. smoked over hickory & apple chunks 350-370 for 40 mins. didn't take the bones out, next time i should. just trying to make things easier.  

here is my ghetto raised direct.  4  2x4s double wrapped in foil--->Spider--->cast iron grate.   worked amazing. 

with risotto and broccoli 

these are going to be a regular thing now, killer flavour!
·

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,301
    Looks great!

Is it ghetto because you stabbed the chicken so many times?
    ·
  • alphacentaurialphacentauri Posts: 54
    edited March 2013
    hahah, that was a good one. 

in that case i would call it a jodi arias chicken.
    ·
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 605
    Nice looking cook.

XLBGE, LBGE growing accessories.

Want: Ceramicgrillworks 2 tier large, Dutch oven, Cyber Q Wifi

Grenada, MS

·
  • CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,558
    Never heard of using two by fours for a raised direct did the wood burn at all .....cool idea!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol cock

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,438

Looks grueat!

Is it ghetto because you stabbed the chicken so many times?
    no, because the govt gave them to him. actually we did with the irs as the middle man.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Never heard of using two by fours for a raised direct did the wood burn at all .....cool idea!
    i never heard of it as well, but thought i should try because at the last minute i wanted a raised direct setup, and i didn't have any bricks.  no the wood didn't even come close to burning, not even any black marks on the foil. we will see how long they last. 
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Then these are dual breasts with the stuffing filling the chicken's cavity??
    ·
  • Then these are dual breasts with the stuffing filling the chicken's cavity??
    nope, chicken thighs that i stuffed. i just left the thigh bone in. 
    ·
  • ddeggerddegger Posts: 244
    Looks excellent. 
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,433
    Looks very, very good.
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
  • BuckdodgerBuckdodger Posts: 909
    Dyal_SC said:
    Looks very, very good.
    + 1 and thanks for sharing. Another cook I gotta try!  :)>-

Alexander City,Al
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,524
    edited March 2013

Word of caution guys, pressure treated 2x4 have arsenic in them. I know that probably was not used in the cook. Please don't use unapproved stuff where food is concerned. Its just not worth it. Its safer to go with a brick

That being said, Alpha, the chicken looks fantastic. And plating is nicely done. I suck at it. :(

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Sorry, i missed the "thighs" in the original post.  They look great !!
    ·
  • Aviator said:

Word of caution guys, pressure treated 2x4 have arsenic in them. I know that probably was not used in the cook. Please don't use unapproved stuff where food is concerned. Its just not worth it. Its safer to go with a brick

That being said, Alpha, the chicken looks fantastic. And plating is nicely done. I suck at it. :(

yowza. good thing these were not pressure treated, just some regular 2x4s. 

i was planning on getting bricks, that day i had thought about making this meal at the last minute and looked around for something to raise the grid, didn't even cut them. 
    ·