Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is Wicked Good "Twice" as Good as Royal Oak?

2»

Comments

• TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    @BigGreenBBQ - try firecraft.com for the OO. Cost $11 a bag with free shipping over $99. They also sell Humphrey's which I thought was pretty good as well.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

y'all
    henapple said:

nellie and I have a close relationship..

Nellie's been fixed. ;)

in salado....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • tech284
    tech284 Posts: 34
    Wicked Good kicks butt
  • I see all the "No" comments, but my vote is "Yes". I buy Wicked Good locally so the shipping and wait is not a problem. My Egg is 4 years old and I have tried several brands of lump charcoal including several bags of Royal Oak. To me the Wicked Good is superior on piece size and the efficiency will make up for the price difference. I would suggest buying at least one bag and trying yourself. 
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Use both but prefer Wicked Good.  After all, I didn't get a cheap kamado.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    @Henapple : You don't happen to heave a trip near Athens, GA planned, do you? I really want to try Ozark Oak, but can't find it here. I'm a huge fan of Wicked Good, though. I use Nature's Own ( Royal Oak in a brown restaurant service bag) and WGWW almost exclusively.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • henapple
    @Mayberry.... I'll be rolling through Ga in a few weeks but just down 75 to Warner Robbins. can you get to Atlanta?
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    Until I found out about buying through ACE Hardware my answer would have been "no".  But now I prefer Wicked Good.  I can go several cooks without having to refill.  Starts quickly, nice smokey smell, etc..   Royal Oak is good and I keep a bag as backup, but I prefer WG. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    the old wicked good competition lump was worth it but the newer weekend warrior isnt as good. the only lumps i would go out of my way for would be ozark oak and mapleleaf but i still wouldnt pay double for it
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    For me, the only thing "double" about WGWW is the cost. I get RO for $0.59/lb whereas WGWW is $1.10/lb. I do just fine with RO in terms of heat level, cooking time, and lump retention. I typically get ~ 3 cooks out of a full load. With an intact gasket, I was able to get more. I have tried WGWW, but the cost difference is too much to sway me from RO to try again. Unless RO goes up in cost or the quality greatly suffers, I'm not likely to. The only way I can get it at close to the same cost is by the pallet load. If SWMBO found out that I ordered a pallet of lump, she would use it for a funeral pyre. At least I could cook on the great Egg in the sky... 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Royal oak is 6.78 FOR 8.8 pounds at my WalMart and I can get wicked good for $20 for 22 pounds. That's .13 a pound difference and when you consider how much at the bottom of royal oak is dust wicked good is actually cheaper.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Since I've started using Wicked Good I've not gone with anything else.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Since I've started using Wicked Good, my teeth are whiter, my skin is smoother, and my Harley runs faster.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I would love to try Ozark but not at the $20 for 10lb price they want delivered to the Seattle area that makes WGWW look like chump change.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Eggcelsior
    Lit said:
    Royal oak is 6.78 FOR 8.8 pounds at my WalMart and I can get wicked good for $20 for 22 pounds. That's .13 a pound difference and when you consider how much at the bottom of royal oak is dust wicked good is actually cheaper.
    The RO I get is Wegmans store brand at $5.99 for a 10 lb bag. I can walk to the store. The nearest WGWW is 22.99 for a 22 lb bag. The nearest Ace is 15 miles away(20.99 from online) Factoring in gas( I have an A3 TDI so I use diesel) I add $3 bucks to the price for the 30 mile round trip. 23.98 for 40 lbs vs 23.99 for 22 lbs makes it an easy decision for me. RO lights fast, burns hot, and lasts forever. I see baseball-sized pieces, some softballs, and very little dust. I feel bad for you guys that have to get it from Walmart. They seem to have mishandling issues.
  • henapple

Since I've started using Wicked Good, my teeth are whiter, my skin is smoother, and my Harley runs faster.

firmer?
  • Eggcelsior
    edited March 2013
    henapple said:
    firmer?
    WGWW = Enzyte

It also made VI's hair go back to brown. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

I liked the WGWW so much I bought a full pallet. I was fed up with lump not being consistent in temp and burn rate. So my motto is "Find one you like and stick with it". That is until you find one better!!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited March 2013
    Is ANY lump twice as good as Royal Oak?  I'd say probably not.  But you need to think about things like availability, how important any differences are to you, and if you are an old softy like me, the warm feeling you get from dealing with a small business run by two of the nicest people you can imagine. (I just wanted to get that last bit in there....)
    The Naked Whiz
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102