Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pet Peeve - Hum Drum Threads from Long Ago Should Stay in the Past, IMHO

Lately there sure seems to be a lot of hum drum threads from months and even years gone by getting resurrected.  Check the dates on threads your searches pull up before posting a comment.  Old threads explaining an innovative technique or outstanding recipe are nice to reset from time to time (like Car Wash Mike's Ribs, Travis' Brisket or Cazzy's Wings).  To keep the forum fresh, old threads detailing someone's ordinary supper cook from last year should probably stay in the past.  Sorry for the gripe.   

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Not more pet peeves, just when I thought the forum was safe. Who the hell brought up ManGrates again?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    So you are mad at someone for actually using the search function on a forum?

I thought the veterans wanted us to do this so they don't have to re-answer something they have already said 100+ times...
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Fred, respectfully, would you be pissed off if I were to find one of your cooks from last year, liked it and had a genuine question about it and post in it?

I think there may be a reason why that thread came up again. Otherwise we may just as well delete all posts from 1012 and earlier. ??

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• @Z_Eggineer & @Aviator - I'm not mad at anyone nor would I be pissed off at anyone who looked at one of my old cooks and wanted to ask me a question about it.  I just think  everyday kind of stuff should be current and not somebody's Tuesday night supper from last June.  Questions are great and can be a great learning tool.  Comments that resurrect these hum drum old threads like "Umm!  That looks good!"  or something to that effect seem strange to me.  Possibly because the cooks themselves are "everyday" and the cook may not even remember the cook or posting it.  Especially if alcohol was involved.

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers and I didn't mean to disrespect anybody.  Now if you will excuse me, I'm going to look for a post of somebody's burger cook from last year or the year before so I can share my comment of "Umm!  That looks good!" 

Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    rough night at awana tonight? I've made that mistake before.... did @Mickey say mangrates?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I only read the threads that interest me...new or old. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I agree. A lot of really old threads get brought up for a pointless of comment of "looks good!" Or "how'd it turn out?"
    Those are pointless comments on a thread from last year. And it just pushes a new thread down closer to the bottom.
    If its a old thread and you have a question about technique or something then it makes more sense to bring up, tho even then making a new thread w/ link to old makes more sense.
    Many forums have a rule against rehashing old threads for no purpose. This place is very lax, which I love, and mostly member run, which I love even more. But I don't care to see a "nice cook!" comment on a 2 year old thread. Just my $0.02
    Boom
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110

I had someone ask me a question about my Valintine's  day cook. It was nothing special however I answered them in a personal message so thread would not get put back on top.

I have to agree with Fred on this.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Hi54putty said:

I only read the threads that interest me...new or old. 

Difference in reading old threads and putting a comment that's irrelevant. I read a lot of old ones for cooks. If I have questions I PM or make new thread.
    Boom
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

So do you know how to clean a lobe of $200 KG Fois Gras? I do.

Well Fred, please find it in your heart to try and fogive those of us who do make "everday meals" that you find uninteresting. I think alot of those questions or comments are made by new cooks like myself who come here looking for answers on how to properly, efficiently get the most out of our eggs.

I am a chef by trade and I do Chefs tables for private functions on the side.  We are talking      8-10 course dinners for up to 12 ppl done in their house. What seems to me to be a simple dinner, alot of guests are amazed at the food and presentations. I hear "wow that came off of my stove?". My response is "it has nothing to do with the stove." To me, this is what is happening here.

What you take for granted as an "everday cook" to someone else is an accomplishment. I can cook the pants off of many in my world but the egg is still new to me and I am learning.

• Sorry again. I didn't mean to ruffle feathers. Just suggesting people look at the date of the thread before commenting. I dug up one from January 2011 from someone who doesn't post here anymore and commented it looks good. That puts that "ancient" thread on top and the guy isn't here anymore. I was only suggesting to people to check the date. Once again, my apologies.
    Flint, Michigan
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Sorry again. I didn't mean to ruffle feathers. Just suggesting people look at the date of the thread before commenting. I dug up one from January 2011 from someone who doesn't post here anymore and commented it looks good. That puts that "ancient" thread on top and the guy isn't here anymore. I was only suggesting to people to check the date. Once again, my apologies.
    Damit Fred you trouble causer ;-)
    Lynnwood WA
  • I think this mostly happens when people search (which is good) and don't notice what they are looking at is an older post. I've done it. We've had a ton of new members the past few days (and frankly all year) that are digging in to the site and trying to get up to speed. These are all good things. While I agree that digging up and old post and writing "looks great" or whatever on purpose is not a great thing, my guess is that's pretty rare. Lots of great data on this forum so older stuff is going to pop up from time to time. 

No worries- keep on eggin'.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • hondabbq said:

Well Fred, please find it in your heart to try and fogive those of us who do make "everday meals" that you find uninteresting. I think alot of those questions or comments are made by new cooks like myself who come here looking for answers on how to properly, efficiently get the most out of our eggs.

I am a chef by trade and I do Chefs tables for private functions on the side.  We are talking      8-10 course dinners for up to 12 ppl done in their house. What seems to me to be a simple dinner, alot of guests are amazed at the food and presentations. I hear "wow that came off of my stove?". My response is "it has nothing to do with the stove." To me, this is what is happening here.

What you take for granted as an "everday cook" to someone else is an accomplishment. I can cook the pants off of many in my world but the egg is still new to me and I am learning.

and we're glad to have you. Don't sweat the small stuff. It's all good. 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited March 2013
    hondabbq said:

Not at all CT. No offence intended FF.

Just reiterating that everyone has to start somewhere. Sure some dont notice the timeline. I was searching meatloaf and saw a post from 2005. Did they even have eggs back then I thought. JK.LOL.

I love coming on here to look at all the great stuff to cook. This egg thing is definitely different than the cooking I am used to doing. Love the information on everything from lump, cook times, ideas, set ups.

I am a forever egger and plan on selling my gasser when i dig it out of the snow.

Make sure you comment on my Meatloaf I did last night before it gets too old of a thread. LOL.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    FWIW, I agree with you Fred.  I even take it a step further.  I never post the same cook twice. If there's a new twist to it, great, but just to post the same cook doesn't make sense to me.

Let the flames begin.  Maybe that will take a little heat off you.  
    :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    FWIW, I agree with you Fred.  I even take it a step further.  I never post the same cook twice. If there's a new twist to it, great, but just to post the same cook doesn't make sense to me.

Let the flames begin.  Maybe that will take a little heat off you.  
    Variety is the spice of life!
  • hondabbq said:
    hondabbq said:

Just reiterating that everyone has to start somewhere. Sure some dont notice the timeline. I was searching meatloaf and saw a post from 2005. Did they even have eggs back then I thought. JK.LOL.

I love coming on here to look at all the great stuff to cook. This egg thing is definitely different than the cooking I am used to doing. Love the information on everything from lump, cook times, ideas, set ups.

I am a forever egger and plan on selling my gasser when i dig it out of the snow.

Make sure you comment on my Meatloaf I did last night before it gets too old of a thread. LOL.

no- no! I was serious. Not offended in any way shape or form. Just wanted you to know we're glad you are here. Sounds like we could all learn a thing or 2 from your day job.

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    hondabbq said:
    hondabbq said:

no- no! I was serious. Not offended in any way shape or form. Just wanted you to know we're glad you are here. Sounds like we could all learn a thing or 2 from your day job.

Now lets see some Fois Gras on the egg damit!
    Lynnwood WA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    We want fat liver! Not fat time!  ;)
  • I you only knew my day job! It takes a lot more than this for me to feel any heat! The secret is I don't give away the power to upset me to people not close to me.
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    first tell me I can't be rude, now what to comment on... between the internet policia and comment monitors, the cliques and bullying have done it... I'm outta here. =)) :)) :((
  • henapple said:

first tell me I can't be rude, now what to comment on... between the internet policia and comment monitors, the cliques and bullying have done it... I'm outta here. =)) :)) :((

Relax. Open up a PB R. Repeat five more times. Feel better?
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple

henapple said:

... I'm outta here. 

What a wuss !  Anybody that would leave this forum in a huff is a spineless, despicable, lower than low scumbag.

my goal is to be like you...hell, just bought a moped.
    :-bd
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    henapple said:
    ... I'm outta here. 
    What a wuss !  Anybody that would leave this forum in a huff is a spineless, despicable, lower than low scumbag.
    I like how you don't just make a baseless statement, you take the extra time to prove it.
    VI, me and you next year...
  • henapple
    VI will be riding the female dog position.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Hopefully, the training wheels will be off by the next Salado.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious