Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Steaks

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night was the first steaks I've cooked on the BGE.
Though tasty they were a little dry.I used the TREX method of cooking.I used regular salt regular pepper and Frenchy's regular mustard.I put to Hickory wood chunks on the side of the firebox.
I cooked 3 T Bones.They came out perfectly med rare but very tough.
Could have been the meat.I bought them at Sam's Club where I have had pretty good success with steaks.
Any suggestions??

Comments

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    GATOR BOB,
    I'd say if they were tough, and medium rare... you bought a bad steak, as the TRex method (properly applied) won't cause the meat to get tough, or dry.[p]I'd recommend the Porterhouses over the T-bones as they have a bigger portion of that "melts in your mouth" tenderloin attached.... for maybe another dime a pound..... that part of the steak should NEVER be tough.[p]Mike in MN

• Mike in MN,
    Thanks Mike.
    Thats what I figured.I guess I shouldn't leave the meat shopping to the wife.

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    GATOR BOB,[p]How thick were the steaks?
  • GATOR BOB,[p]I'd have to say it was probably the steaks as well. Make sure they are USDA Choice at a minimum.

• GatorBob!

Where you from? I'm from Ocala!

locolongball
  • GATOR BOB,
    Not necessarily. Plenty of eggers buy their meat at Sams and Costco with good results. Supposed to be USDA Choice there, right? But once in a while we get a dud. Don't give up!

• GATOR BOB,[p]My guess is that it was the meat. [p]I have TRexed 2 porterhouse steaks of the same grade from the same store, cut exactly 2" thick, two nights in succession, using the same brand lump in the same medium BGE, with the same ingredients, timing, temp, etc. One was absolutely fantastic and the other one left a bit to be desired.[p]I would recommend that you use kosher salt and a nice freshly ground pepper and skip the mustard (but not the olive oil). Kosher salt is less dense and does not contain iodine, which I know is great for goiter but not for salting sausage casings, etc.[p]Good Luck!!