Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is a BBQ pitmaster?

OK, so we all have heard the term "pitmaster" right. So I looked up "how to become a pitmaster" - wondering if it is like chefs school or something (my sister-in-law is a chef). From what I found it looks like all you have to do is take a 2-3 day class (usually in the south) and you can get a certificate as a "pitmaster". Seems like there could be a lot of "pitmasters" out there that don't know the first thing about BBQ.  Now this is not to say that the real BBQ champs are not pitmasters or that some classes taught by these guys aren't legit, but it seems these pitmaster classes could be a money making scheme. Again I am sure that there are some classes out there that teach some finer points or tips / tricks of the competition BBQ world but just because you paid $200 for a BBQ class does that make you a pitmaster?

I know there are plenty of people in the forum who can make awesome BBQ and are masters of the pit and never attended one of these classes...

Has anyone attended one of these classes? Any "certified pitmasters" out there?

Comments

• BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    No one was an opinion on this?
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited March 2013
    Sorry man, most of us don't think that hard. We're doing good to keep an egg lit through a 20 hour brisket stall. Oh wait, that's why I bought a cyberQ. Still don't know how to hook the thing up to a "network" but sounds cool that I have one. Also same reason I bout an AR, not a .233, but something I can use to cook 223 slabs of ribs at once. That is if I bought the right lump this time and aligned my wood chunks with the stars to produce the right amount of smoke. Oh man, was it supposed to be wood chips??? Then there's soaking. Who knows what to do there.

I guess a class could help, but I've been late and slept through most of those in my past.

Good luck! :D

Moral to the story: the more gadgets and longer it takes, the longer you get to sit on the porch!

XLBGE 
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    If you and your friends love your cooking, you're a master

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    edited March 2013
    @MrCookingNurse: Well we are way off topic here but I guess I asked for it... I have the Auber Instrument pid - no wifi but I did a 19 hour brisket last week with no issues.  It is so nice to be able to sleep through the night and now worry about the lump going out... AR - best purchase ever (well besides the egg... and the mangrate)
  • khristyjeff
    khristyjeff Posts: 163
    I'm told the pit master is the person who is in charge of a table of say 6 judges. He is to make sure they are following the rules and that any one judge isn't out of whack with all the others in their scores. Also I was told they can't taste the food which to me is a downside. There are classes for judges and for cooking as well. This is just what I was told. Can't swear to the accuracy. Hopefully someone with more authority will chime in. You might check out www.KCBS.us website for more info.
  • That's a table captain.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    When I've got the 3 kids, 9 grandkids and SWMBO on my deck, I am a PITMASTER to them!!!  :D
  • When I fire up my egg, I am the Pit Master. Everyone in my house knows to leave my eggs alone. :))
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Also same reason I bout an AR, not a .233....I hope not, get a .308
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Pitmaster or whayever is just a title. I've never heard of anyone being an official pitmaster, the guy in charge of the pit is the master, period. Like those noted above, if you fire it, tend it and clean it, you is the Pitmaster - you do not no stinking course. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I skipped the pit master title... and went straight to Eggmaster! (Self-appointed, of course) 
    BOOMER!
  • rontho
    rontho Posts: 109
    your a pitmaster until you gag on your own food
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

I skipped the pit master title... and went straight to Eggmaster! (Self-appointed, of course) 

but I love the shirts....I want one.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN