Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

What is a BBQ pitmaster?

OK, so we all have heard the term "pitmaster" right. So I looked up "how to become a pitmaster" - wondering if it is like chefs school or something (my sister-in-law is a chef). From what I found it looks like all you have to do is take a 2-3 day class (usually in the south) and you can get a certificate as a "pitmaster". Seems like there could be a lot of "pitmasters" out there that don't know the first thing about BBQ.  Now this is not to say that the real BBQ champs are not pitmasters or that some classes taught by these guys aren't legit, but it seems these pitmaster classes could be a money making scheme. Again I am sure that there are some classes out there that teach some finer points or tips / tricks of the competition BBQ world but just because you paid $200 for a BBQ class does that make you a pitmaster?

I know there are plenty of people in the forum who can make awesome BBQ and are masters of the pit and never attended one of these classes...

Has anyone attended one of these classes? Any "certified pitmasters" out there?

Comments