Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL or XXL

Options
2»

Comments

• EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    You could get 2 XL's for the price of 1 XXL if you honestly needed that much cooking space. I have a XL and see no need for more room unless you have aspirations to become a caterer.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • _BR_
    _BR_ Posts: 42
    Options
    Im the one who posted about the XXL. My dealer said he saw it in person. They are limited edition, so I wonder about the accessories or lack thereof going forward. I have an XL and have plenty of room. The only way the XXL would be beneficial is if you catered regularly. It is big enough to smoke a whole hog.

Thanks for the info.  It does make me feel that ordering an XL for my first bge was the right decision.  Adding another, maybe smaller down the line would probably make more cents. Not having one right now…is awful.

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I have 2 XLs, mostly so I can do multi-temp cooks for a lot of people.  I haven't run into a situation yet where I needed more space on either XL.  The XL has a much bigger lower grate which allows you to do direct and indirct by just placing lump on one side.  I normally cook for just 2 people and only light enough lump to heat the food grate area being used for the cook.  I have compared my use to a friend with a large and we use almost the exact amount of lump when cooking for just 2 and I use less when I cook for 30.  I'm not sure how scientific the test was but we used one small bag of RO each, cooked the same meals at the same temp for close to the same time and we both got 3 meals out of each bag and both still had a little left.  I use less when cooking for big parties because I can get everything on at the same time.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Acorn
    Acorn Posts: 163
    Options

I am brand new to the egg nation brother, my wife surprised me with a XL setup for my birthday just two months ago. I always have extra room just cooking for two but I like having options.

Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • Acorn
    Acorn Posts: 163
    Options
    XLBGE, my bad.....
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • THE_HULK
    Options
    hi... new in this forum... just bougth mu XL

I´ve seen te XXL... its amazing, but I think its too big for home... 

I would keep my xl and maybe another smaller...

my 2 cents

Rick
    "COLD BEER, GRILLED RIBEYE & FROZEN TEQUILA"
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Or a steamship round, a whole lamb or a goat. I want one so bad :((

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Or a steamship round, a whole lamb or a goat. I want one so bad :((

Compensating?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I don't know why you always equate cooking stuff to disgusting things.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Nah, more like a Napoleonic thing. Thirst for power, 9th egg... That sort of humor. Trying to get the humor from middle school to high school level.

Let it be known, Napoleon was of average height for his time.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    If I lived in the 19th century I would be considered tall, specially in France

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    I think he has a L and Mini.
    @griffin makes a great point. I have a large and small and this combo is amazing.

Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    EggRacer said:
    You could get 2 XL's for the price of 1 XXL if you honestly needed that much cooking space. I have a XL and see no need for more room unless you have aspirations to become a caterer.
    Are they available for sale yet? The Canadian distributor wouldn't take my order in the summer but they said they would let me test drive it. I wouldn't buy one until the mechanisms were proven out. The XL has been redesigned about five times.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    I'm a firm beliver bigger is better my motto (GO BIG OR GO HOME) just ssying
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options

The XXL is not out yet. There are 2 at BGE (one new and one has been cooked on). I was hoping to grab on this weekend and was told no  :-(

I wouldn't expect to see them available, and extremely limited at that, until 2014.