Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mesquite Lump Charcoal

Has anyone used the Mesquite Lump and if so how does it make the meat flavoring too strong??Our local Sam's store has it in 20# Bags and if it is too strong I won't waste my money on it....

1 Large Big Green Egg
 1 Weber Kettle
 1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
 1 Long Horn Off Set
 1 Bradley Smoker
 1 Weber Silver Gasser
 1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
 1 Orange Thermapen

Comments

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    I have use Best of the West and it was fine , no strong taste.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
     I've used it a number of times.  In one of my reviews just for fun I did a butt overnight with it (but not smoking chunks) and it wasn't strong at all.  You might not like it as much for fish or poultry, but certainly for beef and pork, it's fine.  It's certainly worth trying a bag to find out if you like it or not.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Thanks for the info, I will give it a try..... John

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I've burned through a bunch of those bags and they're fine.  Not as "neutral" as some like Royal Oak, but nothing was overwhelmingly mesquity.
    Off topic....Geaux Tigers!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited March 2013
    I have to eat a little crow here. I used it for months and really loved it. I was telling everyone how great it was for the price, how big the chunks were (they were huge and hardly any dust). I talked with The Whiz about it and he was telling me that wasn't what he was seeing. I just couldn't believe it, the stuff I was getting was great.......for about 6 months. Then it got worse and worse. 

So I've gone through easily 1000 lbs of it and if I could get the stuff I got at first, I would still use it for some things. Here is what i would tell you- Tons of sparks and tons of ash compared to many other brands of lump. I would also say to shake the bags before buying. If it sounds like one of those rain sticks you see at the hippie stores (sandals, hammocks, hipster hats, and rainsticks), walk away or find one that does not. They treat them really rough and lots of times they are small pieces and dust by the time they get to retail. Or they will have one 4 foot log in there and a bunch of dust. The logs break up fine with a hammer and burn like any other lump. They just aren't very consistent with what you will find in there. I have tons of pics on here somewhere. 

So, the lump itself is fine once it stops sparking and is not strong at all. It's just getting a bag that isn't 2 logs and dust or full of quarter sized pieces that is the issue. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Here is what it was early on, Really nice chunks and very little dust:

• Here are some of the big chunks (no, I did not find that shoe in there)

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited March 2013
    I have a sack of dust out there I need to weight from the last one. I bet it's 5 lbs out of the 40 lb bag.

Anyhow- it's not bad if you get the good bags. They may be better since its early n the season. I found the longer they had it, more beat up it got. by the end of last year, I stopped buying it and they stopped carrying it. 

BTW- they had 2 last year. Best of the west and a generic version that just said 100% mesquite lump charcoal. Both were from Mexico.  I bought the generic one to do a cochinita pibil pit on the beach last year and it seemed identical to BOTW. It had logs in there but that was cool for the pit. i still have a bag of that. I might separate it all out and see what the stats are.

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    The mesquite lump I find for sale in Central Texas is very inconsistent in quality (size of the chunks) regardless of the brand on the bag. I have returned 2 bags to HEB because they were most mostly dust. I use the "shake method" before putting the bag in the cart. The flavor is OK for most cooks IMHO except for fish.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein