Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Grill Marks and Grates - new article

CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 1,047
Interesting article in this month's AmazingRibs.com newsletter. For steaks it basically recommends NOT using cast iron grates, flipping regularly during the cook, and doing reverse sear.

Article at: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_grill_marks_and_flipping_meat.html?utm_source=2013-03-26&utm_campaign=Nov+2012&utm_medium=email

LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
·

Comments

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,321
    Oh no, What does this mean to MANGRATES?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Don't let BOOMER see this
    =))
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • SmolderSmolder Posts: 17
    Just goes to show how much flexibility one has when using good cuts of beef in the first place. This is exactly opposite of the way I have cooked steaks for 30 years, so basically to each their own.
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,907
    I just read Adam Perry Langs book Charred and Scruffed and he uses the hot potato method flipping often to create a more even cooking of the center of the meat and says he has had a steak with perfect sear marks taste like dog food and the best steak he has ever had did not have sear marks. Different schools of thought and most turn out some great food off a grill 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,524
    edited March 2013
    My wife likes her staeks and burgers well done all the way, so my orders are to turn them frequently to get the inside done all the way. She coulnt care less about grill marks. My daughter and I are the medium rare peeps.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,431
    the mangrates gave me very pretty steaks but I've never really tried for the marks..just taste. I do the reverse sear on all beef.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,262
    Good write up.  I generally find meathead's articles to be spot-on, with the exception of cooking to temps to eliminate pathogens.  It's not a temp thing, it's a time-temp thing.  You don't need to cook chicken to 165 to kill salmonella.   You can cook it to a much lower temp for a longer period of time and have the same effect.

·