Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill Marks and Grates - new article

CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
Interesting article in this month's AmazingRibs.com newsletter. For steaks it basically recommends NOT using cast iron grates, flipping regularly during the cook, and doing reverse sear.

Article at: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_grill_marks_and_flipping_meat.html?utm_source=2013-03-26&utm_campaign=Nov+2012&utm_medium=email

LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Oh no, What does this mean to MANGRATES?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Don't let BOOMER see this
    =))
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Smolder
    Smolder Posts: 104
    Just goes to show how much flexibility one has when using good cuts of beef in the first place. This is exactly opposite of the way I have cooked steaks for 30 years, so basically to each their own.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I just read Adam Perry Langs book Charred and Scruffed and he uses the hot potato method flipping often to create a more even cooking of the center of the meat and says he has had a steak with perfect sear marks taste like dog food and the best steak he has ever had did not have sear marks. Different schools of thought and most turn out some great food off a grill 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited March 2013
    My wife likes her staeks and burgers well done all the way, so my orders are to turn them frequently to get the inside done all the way. She coulnt care less about grill marks. My daughter and I are the medium rare peeps.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    the mangrates gave me very pretty steaks but I've never really tried for the marks..just taste. I do the reverse sear on all beef.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Good write up.  I generally find meathead's articles to be spot-on, with the exception of cooking to temps to eliminate pathogens.  It's not a temp thing, it's a time-temp thing.  You don't need to cook chicken to 165 to kill salmonella.   You can cook it to a much lower temp for a longer period of time and have the same effect.