Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first low and slow...

Options
Still a newbie, I've been using my LBGE for grilling - steaks, chicken, burgers.  Started an 8.5 pound Boston Butt last night.  I opted for the low and slow method to test my ability to maintain temp overnight.  I used the Mojo Pork recipe on nakedwiz.

I loaded up the firebox and threw in a few chunks of pecan wood.  I set up the maverick, installed the platesetter, and after the egg stabilized at 230 degrees I started the cook.  Oh, I also used a drip pan filled with apple juice and water.  For the first few hours I made only a couple of small adjustments until the temp was dialed in at 230.  I started the cook at 5:00 pm and by the time I went to bed at 11:30, the meat temp was at 145.  I woke up at 1:30, the alarm on the Maverick woke me up, the grill temp had fallen to 199 (I set the lower alarm at 200).  The meat temp was at 162.  When I went out to check the vents it was pouring rain.  I adjusted the top vent and went back to bed. I woke up at 4:30 this morning and the grill temp was 194 and the meat temp had fallen to 158.  It was still raining so I opened the bottom vent a little more. 

The grill temp recovered pretty quickly and at 9:am, 16 hours into the cook, The grill temp is 230 and meat is at 180.  I plan to pull the meat when it reaches 200.  I haven't opened the egg since the cook started.

What have I learned so far?  Patience - small adjustments will have an affect on the temps if you wait long enough. Also, I am surprised how long a full load of charcoal will last - 16 hours and going strong. If you are going to do a low and slow, the maverick is awesome! 

Here are a couple of pictures I took when I stared, I'll post more at the end of the cook.

Ringgold, Georgia

Comments

• Browninggold
    Options
    Nice. It's going to be great. Maverick is a great Eggcessory.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,943
    Options
    Looks good!  I've done two butts so far on my BGE - both came out fantastic.  I haven't tried that Mojo Pork recipe so I'll be interested to hear how it comes out.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    If I do a low temp cook I set up a floor fan a few feet in front of the egg and set it on low speed. At temps below 250* the ash can clog the airflow more easily. I do have Digi q's but don't bother using them

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Congrats. Sounds great. You may want to try cooking at 275 dome on the next one. It will cook faster and there is no difference to the end product.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Now let me ask you something ------  wouldn't it be easier to turbo cook this butt this afternoon while you enjoyed a liquid beverage, instead of getting up all night and going out in the rain??
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options

Way to go-jump in and figure out the process.  Now you have a pretty good idea of how the BGE behaves so it is easy to venture into other ways to approach the same cook-turbo if that's your preference, or not.  I really like the mojo pork recipe from the whiz's site-it will be great.

Probably the best finish-line indicator is when the bone clean pulls with little to no resistance-and that is somewhere around 200-205 usually.  Enjoy!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    Congratulations! I remember my first overnight cook I kept on getting up to see where the temp was at and never had to make an adjustment, I run my low and slo at 250 dome. The first time I hit the stall it was a be worrisome but with the help of the forum I just sat it out and was rewarded. 

I have not done a turbo butt yet but want to give it a go as the longest butt I have done took 20 hours to hit 200. Average is 16 to 18 hours which works well for me. 
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Options
    Pretty Fun Ain't it?? Look s good
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • kascls
    kascls Posts: 9
    Options
    The total cook time was nearly 20 hours and the grill temp was holding strong.  I ended up pulling the butt at 195 degrees.  I wrapped it in foil and towels and placed in a cooler.  We had errands to run and weren't going to eat until later so I figured I would let it rest for a while.  When I took it out the bone pulled out cleanly.  Here are pictures of the final results.

Tasted great a was a big hit.  We baked potatoes and piled the pork on top - Yum.

Next up:  Easter brisket!
    Ringgold, Georgia
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    great job.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Great job, looks great! Keep up the Egging
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    How did you protect the Maverick while out in the rain?  Is your Egg area covered?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    How did you protect the Maverick while out in the rain?  Is your Egg area covered?
    I just put my ceramic cap over it or stuff it in a zip lock bag if it's raining. Ceramic cap is a perfect fit and does not screw up the signal. The 732 is water resistant anyway. i've had it out in the rain overnight (accident) with no issues. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Nice looking food. Great job.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• chris123stock
    Options
    Looks good, now on to the topic of the Maverick,  and no one said anything,  you should put foil on the leads or they can fail. Also try to keep them over the plate setter leg. Awesome cook. 
  • chris123stock
    Options
    Also on the Turbo cook,  well read how to do it carefully lol or you might be my side kick. 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Way to break it in!  Welcome kascls!
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • kascls
    kascls Posts: 9
    Options
    I grabbed a bucket from the garage and covered the Maverick, good thing it wasn't windy.  I like the ceramic top idea!

Ringgold, Georgia
  • Dave_Matthews
    Options
    Beautiful!

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR