Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good price for a Digi q? or a stoker?

Leaning towards a Digi q wifi model which will be right at 400 bucks. Stoker seems like it will be a little higher.
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That's in the ballpark.  Not a lot of seller competition...unless you buy used.  Stoker costs more, but handles, I think (not having one but reading about them) three channels (aka eggs).
    Yeah @nolaegghead, I might need a crutch if I'm going to attempt to make an eggfest cooking show sometime soon.  I don't want to spend that kind of money, but after having my fire go out for the first time two nights ago I'm more interested.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited March 2013
    CyberQ II will run two pits and will be the one I get if I ever upgrade from my digiQ. While my last cook turned out well at my buddies lake house, being able to pull up how the pork was doing from the boat would have let me enjoy the boat ride a little more. I am very happy with the BBQ guru and seems like the cyberQ should only be better, They already have a app that works with droid phones and one is coming for the iPhone. The trick is getting your router to work with it while you are outside your home network, Naked Whiz has a review of it here and it doesn't seem too bad. 

As far as price it is what it is, Kinda like BGE very little discounts but they are there sometimes. 

Edit: Here is a recent post from @ClayK25 that had a couple places with the best deals I have seen. DigiQ2

CyberQ is $372 from the link in that post. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I've looked at the reviews for both and they both seem like fantastic products.  I just want to make sure if I'm going to spend the money on a controller that is WIFI enabled it is worth it. Otherwise I'll just keep doing like I do.  My first cook ever that I had a problem with overnight in 3 years of my own egg and 5 years of cooking on the egg happened the other night and so now a controller is more attractive.
  • Solson005
    Its around $100 difference so it just depends on if you are going to be away from your egg or around the house while it is cooking away. My lake cook was the first one I actually wished I had the wifi one instead, nothing went wrong but I didn't want to overcook it. Plus I'm a gadget person so having it to where I can pull up the status on my phone and adjust the temp if needed is pretty intriguing for me. I use it anytime my cook goes over an hour, do I have to no but I have it so I do. Plus its my only other good thermometer besides my thermapen. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    @Scottborasjr, where are you located? looks like this amazing deal in Canada is still available.  Wonder if it's still worthwhile after factoring in shipping, duties (if any) etc.
    canuckland
  • jgdusc
    jgdusc Posts: 22

My stoker came out to be around 360 with shipping (one pit, one meat, and fan)  I have to say I love the peace of mind knowing it is handling the cook while I tend to other life demands.  Haven't had a need to access it away from my house as of yet, but knowing I could is pretty cool.  Cooking on Sunday am and being able to see whats going on if I need to was attactive.  The stoker log software is pretty cool as well.

When it comes to all my tools having it if I need it feels alot better than needing it and not having it.  Both are solid units, however the wifi and expansion capability of the stoker was ultimately what won me over.  Who knows how many eggs I may end of with!

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, Stoker Wifi, White Thermapen, Igrill---Gilbert SC
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110

Agree with Solson005 "CyberQ II will run two pits and will be the one I get if I ever upgrade from my digiQ"

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    there's a digiq2 on Nashville craigslist but he won't budge
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

If you want just a basic temp controller, I can get you one for about $110-120 + shipping.  It might take a few weeks or up to a month though.  I have to order a bunch at once for stock, and wasn't planning on doing that until mid-April.  No big deal for me to tack another one onto the order.

It's a self contained unit that has been reviewed on NW's site.  You just set the dial to the temp and walk away.  Works like a million bucks.  For the price, I would rather have three of these, than one unit controlling three.  I get nervous about leaving expensive electronics out in the elements, since nothing is completely "waterproof".

If you're interested, send me an email.  Make sure you include your email address since the reply-to: address goes back to BGE.  Thanks.

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    henapple said:

there's a digiq2 on Nashville craigslist but he won't budge

Nope. Needs to if he wants to sell!!

My mom just bought me a partyQ. Excited about trying it out. I have zero hands on experience but the stoker for multiple eggs looks nice to me. But a must would be cell phone control. Does it do that? I know cyberQ does pretty easily.

XLBGE 
  • GatoGordo
    GatoGordo Posts: 80
    The Stoker will handle up to five separate pits (the limitation is due to the blowers). With this, you can also have multiple temperature sensors for each pit.
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • Solson005
    Read up on the Naked Whiz reviews on the CyberQ and Stoker Wifi and see if making it work outside of your network is something you want to mess with as it isn't exactly plug and play but doesn't look too hard. 
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    My stoker WIFI was around 4 and change after a couple extras. I chose it over the CyberQ due to it's expandability out of the box as well as the multiple software options that independent developers are producing. Specifically StokerLog. I love being able to bring up past cooks to see my mistakes and successes. With that said, you really can't go wrong with either option. Best of luck to you.
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975