Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL or XXL

Hi all, I am a new member and don't own an Egg yet. I have put money down on an XL demo egg for the 2013 So. Cal Eggfest but just heard about the XXL. Should I even consider this or stick with the XL?

Comments

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Not that this is an informed reasoning as I haven't even seen the Xxl in person and I don't think many have. I would stick with an xl and add a small later on as you will want a second egg and that gives you much more flexibility.
    Lynnwood WA
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Can you purchase an xxl yet??

XLBGE 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    are you catering or competing?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RoundTowner
    RoundTowner Posts: 125
    Just how big of a boy are you?
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I've been wondering how long it would take for this question to be posed. I'm not sure the XXL's are even out at stores yet. I think they are going to be pricey. Me? I'd still got with a LargeMini or LargeSmall combo.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• _BR_
    _BR_ Posts: 42

henapple said:
    are you catering or competing?
    Neither, I just hate purchasing something and then finding out the next day that a newer or improved version is available. Either way I’M chomping at the bit to get started. 
  • How many people are you usually going to cook for? How patient are you about waiting :)) ? The price and launch date for the XXL is still unknown. I'm sure it will also take some time to develop and have accessories available for the XXL. Check out http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ to see the options for the XL. That may help you make a better decision depending on your situation. I'll be going to the So Cal Eggfest so hope to see you there!

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• MrCookingNurse
    @griffin makes a great point. I have a large and small and this combo is amazing.

XLBGE 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I would say get the XL there are plenty of eggcessories and if you want more room you can go vertical with the Ceramic Grill Works Swing Rack or the Ceramic Grill Store Adj Rig I just have a large and a small egg and the Swing rack is perfect for me to make both the entree and side dishes. The XXL just got released and it will take awhile to get all the fun goodies. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    the only reason i got an XL was to be able to fit several racks of ribs flat on the grate - which it does flawlessly.  

I am going to be doing a very large cook ( roughly 40lbs of pork butt) this spring and asked how much pork butt you can fit on an XL - go check that thread out.. Decide if you will regularly cook more than that.  

9/10 times i'm cooking not more then two large pieces .. like i did two 16lb turkeys for Thanksgiving with no issue. If you want more room from there, an Adjustable Rack (AR available at the ceramic grill store) or a Swing Rack (ceramic grill works) will give you a lot more optionality.

these are also much bigger in person than they look .. and weigh a ton.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    _BR_ said:
    Hi all, I am a new member and don't own an Egg yet. I have put money down on an XL demo egg for the 2013 So. Cal Eggfest but just heard about the XXL. Should I even consider this or stick with the XL?

Ask bubbles

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'd buy 2 large eggs. I heard rumors of $2499.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    With the BGE, bigger doesn't really equal better. It's simply about how much you can cook.

I considered the XL, but then did the math on how much space I really need for my average cooks. For me personally, the Large is the perfect size with very little wasted space. The XL would be overkill for me.

My recommendation is don't worry about trying to get the biggest available, but the one that best fits your cooking habits.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I'm a "go big or go home" guy. I have an XL BGE. I'm 6'5". I probably would have bought the XXL if it were available when I purchased my XL. I have a 700+ pound Klose Backyard Chef smoker. However, with that being said I have a hard time seeing the XXL BGE as being something that will be a good fit for many people. It will be the unusual person who will find the XL inadequate. There is a current active discussion on these boards documenting that at least 60 (with eggcessories a lot more) pounds of meat can be cooked on the XL. I've cooked 16 1/2 pound gourmet burgers at one time on my XL. The weight of it makes the XXL essentially impossible to move and itlikely slower to warm up. So, if you have a specific need to cook 100 pounds of meat on a regular basis - or for some specific reason need more grill real estate, then get the XXL. I think it will be a great grill/smoker that will serve its owner well. I just think there are relatively few people who need something larger than the XL.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    My buddy bought an XLBGE and I bought a Large. We both usually cook for 2 but sometimes 8 to 10. I am happy with my large and I think I get to temp faster and burn less lump than my buddy. JMHO
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • MrCookingNurse
    Sometimes my large would get full when I'd cook meat and sides on it. Now I have LBGE & SBGE and can do two different temps and cook all my food better. Someone who regularly runs out of room in an XL is either a caterer, competitor, or the duggars.

I'm ready to see the xxl in person. But it would be assanine to cook supper on for a family of 3,4,5,6,7,8.

XLBGE 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    And the next question I will be awaiting "Does the XXL use more lump than the XL?"

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Griffin said:
    And the next question I will be awaiting "Does the XXL use more lump than the XL?"
    "Should I buy 2 xxls or an xl and an xxl"
    Lynnwood WA
  • _BR_

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It sounds like having two units is better than one. Btw, I just found out that I am inheriting another type of old Kamado from a friends grandmother, not sure what brand or how good it will work. Will try to pick up in a couple of weeks.

• _BR_
    _BR_ said:

Ask bubbles
    Feeding lots of kitties LOL
  • MrCookingNurse
    Dude that's awesome about the imperial kamado. I think I'm right.

XLBGE 
  • _BR_
    Dude that's awesome about the imperial kamado. I think I'm right.
    Ok, I thought that's what it might be. It should hold me over until Eggfest.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Make sure to do a little reading up. I'm not sure about the temp ranges that thing is safe at.

XLBGE 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    _BR_ said:
    _BR_ said:

Ask bubbles
    I'm surprised you get it out there

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• _BR_
    _BR_ said:
    _BR_ said:

Ask bubbles
    I'm surprised you get it out there
    It is the only reason to own Netflix.  We need an "Eggfest" at SunnyVale Trailer park. Cheeseburger Randy on the grill and Mr. Lahey serving drinks.
  • _BR_
    Make sure to do a little reading up. I'm not sure about the temp ranges that thing is safe at.
    Will do. Thanks.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Just read this post 4 grand for the XXL, makes the decision for most

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1149810/xxl-egg#latest

LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • _BR_
    Just read this post 4 grand for the XXL, makes the decision for most

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1149810/xxl-egg#latest

WOW! Thanks for the info. I think I will be very happy with an XL.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Im the one who posted about the XXL. My dealer said he saw it in person. They are limited edition, so I wonder about the accessories or lack thereof going forward. I have an XL and have plenty of room. The only way the XXL would be beneficial is if you catered regularly. It is big enough to smoke a whole hog.
    Mark Annville, PA