Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Peel off the bone ribs

Instead of simple ribs, I was intrigued by recipes using apple juice and apple cider, and the wide range of opinions in that regard.  Also the notion that 'falling off the bone' can be too tender for some, and I decided to cook at a lower temp to try to keep the ribs from falling apart.  The last ribs were like that, and I was amazed and I thoroughly enjoyed them, but this time I wanted to try not so tender.  I started with a rub on the ribs and on the grill at 250 degree, PS legs up, woo3 and the rib rack with pan.  Every half hour for the next 4.5 hours I mopped the ribs with a mixture of 2/3 pure apple juice, and 1/3 red wine vinegar.  I had some hickory chips in the lump as well.

Then I raised the temperature to 325, and basted with a sauce.  I added the poppers that I cooked a couple of days ago to reheat and see if they got any milder, they didn't.  An hour later I took the ribs off of the grill and let them rest for about 20 minutes.

Taste was excellent as far as I am concerned, but I can't wait to try the leftovers today since I got real smokey tending the ribs.  Texture was excellent.  Instead of falling off of the bone, the meat more or less pulled off of the bone while eating.  No shredding of meat remaining stuck to the bone, but not super tender.  (I like falling off the bone as well however.)

no, not -that- one!
002.JPG 1.5M
006.JPG 1.2M
008.JPG 1.4M

• This is how I like them.  Single bite through tender. 

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,386
    Very nice. I hear a rack calling my name! I've gotta get this down to a recipie soon.

• Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,690
    Nice cook
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I have a rack already to go on --  i'm gonna try this.  Your plated picture is excellent!
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,965
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks great!  =P~
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Looks great
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,548
    Red wine vinegar. Nice!

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Dave_MatthewsDave_Matthews Posts: 200
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for all of the kind words everyone!

Today I had the leftovers, and man-oh-man were they spectacular!  I do believe that I should wear a mask or something while cooking, I was not able to appreciate the flavor as much until today.  I put the ribs in a tented dish in the oven with splash of apple juice in the dish for 1 hour at 190 degrees.  The meat was tender and delicious.  Two of the pictures show what happened after one bite, the meat came off of the bone during the bite, but not before.  PERFECT!  I hope I can do this again.

I guess it is pretty hard to make a bad meal on the BGE!

009.JPG 934.8K
    011.JPG 1.2M
    014.JPG 1.1M
    016.JPG 1.1M
    no, not -that- one!
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,995
    Awesome job, Dave! 
  • Dave_MatthewsDave_Matthews Posts: 200
    edited March 2013
    Aviator said:
    Red wine vinegar. Nice!
    I think I will use this idea again when I do beef ribs.  When I was reading the forum I found many references regarding the use of apple cider rather than plain apple juice.  And some comments about using vinegar.  I am an opportunistic cook.  I see what is in the pantry/refrigerator/spice rack and add it if it feels right.  This worked out great, and the only record of it it here on this forum..thanks hosts and moderators!
    no, not -that- one!
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,289
    Ribs look great, and poppers.....what are those little tree like things?
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter.