Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Almost finished my nest for my Xl Egg!!

Options
Hi all 
I was encouraged by the fantastic tables on this site so I set out to build a nest for my XL egg.   It started out as a bakers table that was left outside at a metal junkyard for years. I took of the butchers block, turned it upside down and refinished it with boat varnish (so I can cut on it) and then used the wood from the egg cut-out to make the drawers.  The handles are bamboo kitchen utensils from the dollar store that I painted using boat pain.  I have put everything that I can think of into it.  If you have any ideas for things I missed let me know.  So far it has an LED light, bottle opener,  Ipod Dock, speakers, an umbrella, a portable battery pack to power it, a 120 volt outlet, a fan, an electric food heater and some sliding storage.  The thing weighs a ton so I have had some custom casters made but I need to find a mobile welder to get them on. I was thinking about adding a swing arm that could hold an extra small egg but I can't seem to figure out how it can attach it to the table and have it strong enough to hold the egg.  Maybe a round metal holder that the egg could sit in attached to a metal articlualting arm?   Anyway here are some pictures of my nest (as you can see the first time I used it I forgot to put in the charcoal plate - rookie mistake but boy did it get hot!)   

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    sweet table man!  have fun and welcome aboard
  • RPreyra
    RPreyra Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks, now all i have to do is learn the secrets of the egg, so far I've only been making steaks at high heat but I am getting braver... pulled pork here I come- can't wait for the good weather to arrive.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    RPreyra said:
    Thanks, now all i have to do is learn the secrets of the egg, so far I've only been making steaks at high heat but I am getting braver... pulled pork here I come- can't wait for the good weather to arrive.
    just jump in and ask questions.  there is a great group here very helpful and creative people.  once you get bit by the bug it will be a year round ordeal.  and another egg, i see you are already planning on one.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Love the table! Custom Umbrella too!
    Welcome aboard from Atlanta!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Beautiful table. Love it.

Welcome aboard.  You'll get a lot of enjoyment out of the XL Egg and that setup!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    Great table!  Enjoy it!!
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Very nice and original. Love the handles. =D>

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• woody's wood pit
    Options

That is a GREAT Table...I have been trying to lay one out and I think you have found the answer...

I have an Xl and a Lg so the table got big, but I have backed off to two tables with storage in both and yours is the first I have seen that seems to have it all...Geat job...

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• woody's wood pit
    Options

forgot to tell you, try a spatchcock chicken...375 for about an hour..get yourself a thermapen (quick read thermometer) and cook to internal temp not time...your gonna love the egg and the food...

welcome to the Cult  :)

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    Nice setup.  Can you move the umbrella to cover the egg when it is raining?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Outstanding table man. You will get a ton of use out of it I am sure.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    nice, really nice. don't wait on the weather
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Nice looking table! And welcome

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Options
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Damn fine setup you got there. Be proud of it and enjoy.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• RPreyra
    Options
    Thanks for the great welcome everyone, I'm looking forward to seeing what the Egg can do. My friend Dan (who got me on to the egg) is a master so I need to have some secret training for the next time I invite him over.
  • RPreyra
    Options
    dlk7 said:
    Nice setup.  Can you move the umbrella to cover the egg when it is raining?
    No, the umbrella is actually a beach umbrella that I bought on line and my sister had it screened for me. I had to put a hole in the corner of the butchers block so it was out of the way.  It covers a big part of the table but not the egg itself.  I wanted to make sure it covered the ipad and the electricals. I also have a big fisherman's hat that I got in Nova Scotia 2 years ago so I can rely on that in a pinch.  
  • RPreyra
    Options

forgot to tell you, try a spatchcock chicken...375 for about an hour..get yourself a thermapen (quick read thermometer) and cook to internal temp not time...your gonna love the egg and the food...

welcome to the Cult  :)

Thanks I suspect that the people down at the local BBQ Galore Store will get to know me well.  Let's hope that the guys at the local fire department don't.

• RPreyra
    Options

That is a GREAT Table...I have been trying to lay one out and I think you have found the answer...

I have an Xl and a Lg so the table got big, but I have backed off to two tables with storage in both and yours is the first I have seen that seems to have it all...Geat job...

Thanks, much appreciated.  Building the table was alot of fun,

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Very nice setup you have there! Looking forward to seeing pics of it cooking away. Welcome aboard!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA