Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

too much of a good thing

char buddy
char buddy Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After checking my firebox for cracks too see if I could add a few cracks to a lively discussion, I butterflied a chicken over alder smoke. I put maybe four-five handfuls of postage stamp sized chips on the fire. [p]The result was the Jim Carrey of smokey taste - way over the top. [p]I rubbed the chicken skin with oil, grains of paradise, salt and a little cayenne pepper to see if the grains of paradise made a noticeable difference. Verdict - they did not, or the difference was too subtle for me to notice. [p]The funny part was the guests liked the chicken and got curious about the egg. I thought it was way too smoked.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    char buddy ,
    Yeah, a little smoke goes a long way, unless you are Sprinter, KOC, or Smokin Todd!![p]The Grains of Paradise have quite a distinct flavor, but according to that spice site that Jobu posted, GOP's lose some flavor when cooked, and are best applied toward the end of the cook, or when serving. I used some on the Tuna I did the other day, and even though I applied before cooking, I could definitely taste them. Really tastes nice straight from the grinder onto cooked food.[p]Thanks for the report!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    char buddy ,
    Yeper, adding smoke taste is a personal preference thing. Foul absorbs smoke fairly easily so a little goes a long way, like NB says. I did my first turkey with a lot of chips and chunks - I figured a smoker should smoke. The Egg can take very little and make it seem like a lot. My wife just about never let me do another turkey until I promised to cut it down. I added a couple chunks of pecan (mild wood). The bird I did last night had no wood at all and only a slight hint of the charcoal taste you'd expect with charcoal.[p]Tim