Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Question??

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am about to embark on my first pulled pork adventure and was wondering about how long a 7.15lb pork butt would take. The plan is to cook it indirect at about 225 degrees until it reaches 195 degrees. I have no idea how long that should take however I have read anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hours per pound. Can anyone help me be a bit more specific. Also any pointers are welcome.
Thanks

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    jim collins, the 1.5 to 2 is still a good rule of thumb since each butt seems to take on a life of its own. You didn't mention it, but if you are using a Guru I find it takes less time. Question though is why do you need to be more precise in the length? Can we help you in the ways to hold the butt in case it finishes early?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP,
    Thanks for the quick response, I was just trying to determine a good time to start if I am planning on eating tomorrow at around 5

• jim collins,
    I find its best just to say, "Its done when its done"! When you chase a time, or a bone to pull out, you could be overcooking and not know it. The best way to do it is just know you internal temp!

• sam
    sam Posts: 21
    Options
    jim,
    I started 2- 4+lb butts last night at 11pm. It's now 4:45pm and they are steady at 190, heading towards 200. Using a BBQ Guru at 225.[p]Best advice I have found for Butts is start early & don't have a deadline. The 1st time I tried, had to pull them off to eat. Put them in the oven :( for 2 more hours to finish.[p]Good Luck!

• jim collins,
    There is no exact science when it comes to being done. Every piece of meat is different. Put the butt on, set the dome temp and keep an eye on the internal temp. I have seen them platue for hours and some not. I have had butts go for 16 hours and some get there in 12 hours.
    Go for the gusto. Have fun, don't worry. Hell, all cooking is trial and error. [p]Jerry

• jim collins,
    1hour and 15 minutes per pound at 225 Degrees (bone in cooks faster - about 60 min/lb

• TheHulk
    TheHulk Posts: 157
    Options
    jim collins,[p]The last 2 butts I cooked were 8 lb butts...the first finished 14.5 hours and the second at 17 hours.[p]I just put on (4) butts at 6:00 with my first run using my Competitor Guru. So far, the Guru is working like a champ.[p]The Hulk
  • Chicago Wine Geek
    Options
    Hopefully, I can piggyback on this post. I don't want to start another with the same questions. Just picked up a 9lb butt. Gonna rub it tonight and put it on tomorrow night for Sunday night dinner. 1st time with the BBQ Guru. Couple of quick questions for the masters, if you please:

1. Mustard before the dry rub to keep in on?
    2. Get the Egg to 225 for 1 hour before putting the butt one?
    3. With the Guru, what do I set the dome spinner at?
    4. Take it off at 190? Then foil, towels, cooler, until we are ready to eat?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice and the sense of community here.....
  • Seattle Todd
    Options
    jim collins ,[p]Got ya. If you're worried about shooting for 5pm tomorrow then I'd suggest starting soon. My best advise, as been's said already, is to make sure you know the internal. I always shoot for the pork to be done earlier if possible. Take them off, wrap in foil, then wrap in a beach towel, then stick in a cooler. It'll keep well for hours and hours this way with no loss in quality. That way you don't need to fret if it's taking longer and your guests are getting antsey.[p]Todd
  • TheHulk
    TheHulk Posts: 157
    Options
    CWG,

I have my daisy wheel barely cracked....so far the Guru is exactly what has been raved about...a steady 225.

I put the mustard on first and rubbed last night..let it set until 6 p.m. tonight...I have had great results with this....

Question #4...exactly.

You must be posting your question on the new forum? I bounce back and forth from the new to the old...I wasn't getting many responses when I posted on the new forum because many eggers still use the old forum and the post do not show up...they get lost...hopefully the kinks will be worked out soon...

good luck.

The Hulk
  • Smoknmo
    Smoknmo Posts: 3
    Options
    jim collins,
    I started two 8 lbs butts at 5:00 PM, 225 grid temp (indirect)with the guru holding steady. It is now 5 1/2 hours later, with an internal temp of 170 (I hope it slows down during the night). I need to put them in a cooler by noon tomorrow for a 5:00 PM start, and should be done early. I enjoy driving the neighbors crazy with the smell of peach-smoked pork drifting on a summer breeze all night.

• Chicago Wine Geek
    Options
    Hulk,

Maybe that has been my problem. I always post on the new forum and get minimal responses. Might have to start posting on the old one instead....
  • Chicago Wine Geek
    Options
    So I just realized that the posts I made to this thread over on the new site, don't show up here.[p]I guess I've got to post to both to get responses....[p]1st time 9lb. butt goes on tonight. Hope this BBQ Guru is pretty easy to figure out.