Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Niman's Ranch Steak Report

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Fired up the mini (large crack and all) and tried one of my Niman's filets and one 2" thick strip. Rubbed in olive oil, sprinkled with kosher salt and ground pepper. Got mini to about 800 (was afraid to let it to nuclear because of the crack) and stuck em on. 1-1/2...flip...1-1/2. Brought them in to sit and shut down mini. Sat the requisite 20 minutes while eggie cooled to a little under 400. Finished them off to 138 internal. Probably a couple degrees over ideal, but I was spraying a squash plant for bugs.[p]The result? Well, the salt didn't burn off crust-wise...so a little salty. The meat was VERY tender. Hardly any juice dripped off during the resting time. Didn't know if that was a good sign or not.[p]Anyway, the meat was just about fork tender. Beautiful char, beautiful interior (see Trex's pix for similar representation...ahem). But you know? I thought it was a tiny bit dry and didn't have that heavy beef flavor. That is what I've been missing in steaks, I decided. I don't know how else to describe it. Even fairly cheap sirloins usually have that flavor. Maybe I need to season it a little differently. EliShark agreed...just a little bland. [p]Will try again and maybe change technique a little.[p]mShark

Comments

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    mollyshark, seems like your still searching for that beefy taste and can't find it. Try this:
    render some beef tallow, season steaks lightly with salt and pepper, brush on a good coating of liquid beef tallow, it will turn white in about 20 seconds after you apply it because the meat is cold. Go ahead and T-Rex them babies and I really think you'll find the flavor you have been searching for. Olive oil, butter, etc. are all good but not the flavor you find in tallow. Hope this helps.

• Seattle Todd
    Options
    mollyshark,[p]If you have some money to burn and you REALLY are into steaks enough to burn it on that I'd suggest trying Lobel's out of NYC. I posted a report a while ago the one time I tried them. Although I've heard mixed reports I was blown away. I've tried Niman and Omaha and though they were good Lobel's just raised the bar completely for mail order meat for me. Looking to get some chateaubriand from them when I get back from a vacation I'm taking later this month.[p]Todd
  • mollyshark
    Options
    Smoke and Beers,[p]Yeah, I'm nuts enough to blow it on steaks. I've got 1 one strip and 5 filets to go and will give Lobels a try. Thanks.[p]mShark
  • mollyshark
    Options
    Chef Wil,[p]Boy, does that sound healthy! Yikes! So if there is an outage I can light a ribeye and use that as a candle? Ha.[p]Where do I get this lovely beef tallow? I'm willing to try anything. In a manner of speaking, of course.[p]mShark
  • Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    mollyshark,
    most all processors sell it and most all butcher shops have access to it. Restaurants use this to brush on lesser expensive cuts of beef for flavor, some grind it using a fine plate and add to their recipe for cooking chili, they use cracker meal in their chili to absorb the tallow and it disappears visually but is still there.

• Chicago Wine Geek
    Options
    I've replied in a previous post about Lobels - they are fantastic. And expensive. Another all time favorite is Allen Brothers. Check out www.allenbrothers.com A great place to go for Prime Beef. When you want the best, lobster, veal, lamb, etc. I always go to Allen Brothers.
  • Chicago Wine Geek
    Options
    When you really want to serve (or eat!) the best, you can't beat Lobels of NY and Allen Brothers. Best steaks, chops, lobster, veal, lamb, etc. If you really want to drool, check this out:[p]www.allenbrothers.com[p]The Waygu is awesome if you've got money to burn...
  • Bama Egger
    Bama Egger Posts: 137
    Options
    Chef Wil,[p]How do you prepare Tallow? I assume it's grinded up by the butcher first then do you cook it to get the liquid? If yes, how long, how much liquid would you apply to a steak or pour into hamburger meat. I have had the same problem that Mollyshark is having but with hamburger meat. I never can get that great beefy taste restaurants get.[p]Thanks,
    Paul