Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Griffin's Pulled Beef

I made Griffin's Pulled Beef on Sunday. It was pretty tasty, but I noticed that one of my chuck roasts was considerably drier than the other. The meat came in a two pack from Costco. One chuck roast was 2.5 pounds and the other was 1.5 pounds. 

The 2.5 pound roast finished in 7 hours 30 minutes and the 1.5 pound roast finished in 7 hours and 45 minutes. Both were prepped and cooked in a similar manner. After cooking, I let them both rest 30 minutes before pulling them. The smaller one turned out much more tender and moist.

Any ideas why that might happen?

Thanks!

Kyle

·

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,416
    edited March 2013
    What were the temps? What did you use to determine they finished?
    ·
  • krameskrames Posts: 57
    I forgot to mention that!

I cooked it at 225-250. I monitored the larger roast using my maverick, but I verified them both using my thermopen.

The big one was pulled at 208 and the smaller one was pulled at 210.
    ·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,931
    I would assume that one just had much better marbling of the fat then the other.  Just guessing though, your talking to a guy who cut a brisket completely the wrong way last night.  At least tonight I'm not nearly as many beers in.
    ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,589
    at least tonight I'm not nearly as many beers in....

sorry.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    There was a recipe just recently on this forum -- where you smoked the chuck roast for a period of time - then into a foil pan of veggies covered -- and then uncovered and the liquid reduced.  I tried the recipe when it was posted and it was VERY good.  It took a lot longer to reach temperature than pork.
    ·
    @henapple it's amazing how much of a detriment working at 6 am is to beer consumption.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
    The meat was choice grade, but I was thinking it might have been the marbling. I think I really do a bad job of picking out meat! Any tips on that?
    ·

@henapple it's amazing how much of a detriment working at 6 am is to beer consumption.

going in at six or off at six?
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,683
    Beer consumption general guidance (minimum requirements...)  followed here-light the BGE-time for a beer, meat on-time for a beer.  Then as necessary to make sure no dehydration of the supervisor and to ensure escape from SWMBO queries.  Remember the BGE requires a lot of attention to get the great outcomes :)>-
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,416
    For pulled beef you sometimes need to go even higher. Maybe it needed 215.
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,856
    The last chuck I did was at 212 before it was ready to pull

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
    @henapple going in at 6
    ·
    I work weird hours. 6-6 today. I'll go in tomorrow at 5, work, then drive and work till Wednesday morning till 10.
    ·
    I don't have a specific schedule, but at least the hours are consistent. In at 6 am off by 3 pm at the latest. While it sucks working weekends a lot, at least I know at 3 pm 99% of the time I will be home or on the golf course or spending time with the kids.
    ·
    I've had more 30 hour days this year than I care to remember. When I'm home, I'm homeand usually off.
    ·
    Don't think I could do 30 hour days, but maybe that's just the fact I've never had to try it.
    ·
    I went three days on 7 hrs sleep last month. I'm a contractor so sometimes it happens. When I'm home I sleep till 9 every morning.
    ·
    How do you know when to pull it? The thermometer just moves in and out like butter? Is there a higher chance of it drying out the longer I leave it on there?

Thanks for the help guys!

·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I had the same problem, so i actually took a couple of forks to see how it pulled before taking it off the grill.
    ·