Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Griffin's Pulled Beef

I made Griffin's Pulled Beef on Sunday. It was pretty tasty, but I noticed that one of my chuck roasts was considerably drier than the other. The meat came in a two pack from Costco. One chuck roast was 2.5 pounds and the other was 1.5 pounds. 

The 2.5 pound roast finished in 7 hours 30 minutes and the 1.5 pound roast finished in 7 hours and 45 minutes. Both were prepped and cooked in a similar manner. After cooking, I let them both rest 30 minutes before pulling them. The smaller one turned out much more tender and moist.

Any ideas why that might happen?

Thanks!

Kyle

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited March 2013
    What were the temps? What did you use to determine they finished?
  • krames
    krames Posts: 70
    I forgot to mention that!

I cooked it at 225-250. I monitored the larger roast using my maverick, but I verified them both using my thermopen.

The big one was pulled at 208 and the smaller one was pulled at 210.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I would assume that one just had much better marbling of the fat then the other.  Just guessing though, your talking to a guy who cut a brisket completely the wrong way last night.  At least tonight I'm not nearly as many beers in.
    ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    at least tonight I'm not nearly as many beers in....

sorry.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    There was a recipe just recently on this forum -- where you smoked the chuck roast for a period of time - then into a foil pan of veggies covered -- and then uncovered and the liquid reduced.  I tried the recipe when it was posted and it was VERY good.  It took a lot longer to reach temperature than pork.
  • Scottborasjr
    @henapple it's amazing how much of a detriment working at 6 am is to beer consumption.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • krames
    The meat was choice grade, but I was thinking it might have been the marbling. I think I really do a bad job of picking out meat! Any tips on that?
  • henapple

@henapple it's amazing how much of a detriment working at 6 am is to beer consumption.

going in at six or off at six?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Beer consumption general guidance (minimum requirements...)  followed here-light the BGE-time for a beer, meat on-time for a beer.  Then as necessary to make sure no dehydration of the supervisor and to ensure escape from SWMBO queries.  Remember the BGE requires a lot of attention to get the great outcomes :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    For pulled beef you sometimes need to go even higher. Maybe it needed 215.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    The last chuck I did was at 212 before it was ready to pull

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Scottborasjr
    @henapple going in at 6
  • henapple
    I work weird hours. 6-6 today. I'll go in tomorrow at 5, work, then drive and work till Wednesday morning till 10.
  • Scottborasjr
    I don't have a specific schedule, but at least the hours are consistent. In at 6 am off by 3 pm at the latest. While it sucks working weekends a lot, at least I know at 3 pm 99% of the time I will be home or on the golf course or spending time with the kids.
  • henapple
    I've had more 30 hour days this year than I care to remember. When I'm home, I'm homeand usually off.
  • Scottborasjr
    Don't think I could do 30 hour days, but maybe that's just the fact I've never had to try it.
  • henapple
    I went three days on 7 hrs sleep last month. I'm a contractor so sometimes it happens. When I'm home I sleep till 9 every morning.
  • krames
    How do you know when to pull it? The thermometer just moves in and out like butter? Is there a higher chance of it drying out the longer I leave it on there?

Thanks for the help guys!

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I had the same problem, so i actually took a couple of forks to see how it pulled before taking it off the grill.