Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burnt pizza

I have had mixed success with pizzas. Either they come out great or they burn. Here is my process:

-XL Egg with plate setter legs down and pizza stone on top of plate setter
-Heat the egg up to 550-600, let stabilize for 20 mins or so
-Cook pizza for 8-10 minutes

Last night using homemade dough the crust burnt in less than 5 minutes.

Help please!!!!
XL BGE Katy, TX (otherwise known as Far West Houston)

Comments

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Direct or indirect heat? I do mine indirect with platesetter and raised grid, then use a pizza stone on the raised grid. Has been consistent.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    I'm not a pizza expert, but have been having good luck lately.  Try plate setter legs UP, cooking grid on plate setter, and pizza stone on cooking grid.  I think that too much heat is transferring to the pizza stone in your configuration because of the large surface area in contact with the plate setter.  
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • tmas
    tmas Posts: 35
    Indirect with the platesetter legs down and pizza stone on top of plate setter
  • CPARKTX said:
    I'm not a pizza expert, but have been having good luck lately.  Try plate setter legs UP, cooking grid on plate setter, and pizza stone on cooking grid.  I think that too much heat is transferring to the pizza stone in your configuration because of the large surface area in contact with the plate setter.  
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Plate setter legs down and ceramic stone directly on top of the plate setter means Ceramic stone will be the same temperature as the plate setter ----------------  a whole lot hotter than the temperature in the dome!!  You need spacers between the plate setter and the pizza stone, or do it legs up, then install the grill at gasket level and set the pizza stone on top of the grill.  Your way has so much heat being directly transfered to the pizza stone that the dough will be burnt before the toppings even begin to melt..
  • +1 with charlie, to much heat a new d will burn quick. You need space between stone and plate setter. Use some fire brick its only 1.5 in. Thick.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Mr. Tuna is right on. There have been years of discussions on this. I use plumbing tees for space because the thermal contact area is minimal.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    you need spacers between stone and place setter

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• tmas
    Thanks for all the replies!!! I will deliberate whether I want to use the platesetter legs up or use spacers.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Here is a picture of what has already been said, i use the green ceramic feet that used to come with my egg so if you have them they work great. But as @Little_Steven said plumbing tees work great too..

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • tmas
    Does the stone not slip off the tees or feet when putting the pizza on with the peel?
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I use a Super Peel so the stone doesn't move when I do it. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Charlie tuna
    I have never had a problem with the ceramic moving with either the green feet or the grill.
  • BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    edited March 2013

I second Solson005's solution -- I do the exactly same thing on my XL and I get great results.  The BGE feet are hard as heck to find though -- maybe your local dealer has some. 

How thin is your stone -- I have seen pottery barn ones get so hot they crack -- I got my stone from here: http://www.bakingstone.com/

Maybe its the dough?

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    tmas said:
    Thanks for all the replies!!! I will deliberate whether I want to use the platesetter legs up or use spacers.
    Your best bet is to get some firebricks and put them on the firering and set the platesetter on that...or get an adjustable rig

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Charlie tuna
    Which ever way -- the main thing is knowing what get extreamly hot and how heat can be transfered in future configurations..
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @tmas....I couldn't care less about your pizza.... just keep spanking bama. :))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN