Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison Jalapeno Cheese Sausage

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

Finally got around to breaking in my sausage stuffer I got for Christmas. Its the 5lb LEM one. Works so much better than using the grinder as a stuffer.

Mrs. G wanted jalapeno cheese sausage and who am I to argue? Started with 2.31 lbs of venison, 2.49 lbs of pork shoulder and .62 lbs of back fat.

No pictures of it being ground or stuffed. Kinda messy and didn't want to stop and wash my hands.Started it at 12 pm at 145 (higher than I wanted)

Three hours in

Done in 4.5 hours

Ice bath to stop the cooking

Grilled up a link Sunday to try

Mrs. G loved it. I was pleased with it, but think I will tweak a few things next time. Plenty juicy, good snap to the casing and nice flavor, but not enough heat. Also gonna try high temp cheese next time. Other wise, I'd call it a success and we have 4 more pounds of it in the freezer. :)

Venison Jalapeno Cheese Sausage

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks great, sounds amazing!  =P~ Me and my buddy who hunts parted ways and I haven't had Venison in far too long.  
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • looks great ! still haven't used mine, so this could be a good kick in the ass.  

what temp would you have preferred? and which cheese is high temp?
  • Griffin

I would have preferred to start at 130F for an hour, no smoke. After one hour, add wood and bump to 140. Go up 10 degrees each hour till the sausage hits 155F.

There is a specific cheese called high temp cheese. It can be found online at Butcher and Packer or if you have a butcher that makes sausage, they might carry it and sell it to you.

Rowlett, Texas

• i go to two butchers who make their own sausages but never seen cheese there.
    thanks for that link, i'll have to make an order. 
  • Griffin
    You might have to ask them for it. It wasn't out at the one I went to, but as I was talking to the guy and explaining what I was going to do, he asked me if I needed any. They also didn't have the back fat out on display as they keep it frozen in the back. For you Dallas folks, Hirsch's Meat Market really is killer. I was also able to pick up some peach wood. Really want to try plum. And pear. And grape. And citrus. So many choices....

Rowlett, Texas

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Look's good Griff. I love venison sausage. This year when you go hunting try to shoot a deer and a hog and make some sausage. Awesome!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Griffin
    I've been looking for hogs, but they've mysteriously disappeared. Haven't seen one in awhile. Maybe they know I'm looking for them? :))

Rowlett, Texas

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Griffin said:
    I've been looking for hogs, but they've mysteriously disappeared. Haven't seen one in awhile. Maybe they know I'm looking for them? :))
    Drive down toll road 130 at night - I hear you're likely to "run into" a few feral hogs.... ;)

I just got a 5 lb LEM stuffer last week.  After making 30 pounds on the KA, I said enough is enough.  I have about 30 pounds I need to stuff - I know it's not ideal to wait to stuff it, but had a lot going on last week.

Anyway, sounds and looks great!

You are gonna like having a dedicated stuffer, so much easier.

Is it more vampire sausage?

Rowlett, Texas

• The 5# vertical stuffer is a must if you want to do more than a pound or two at a time.  I also learned this after ONE session of stuffing with a KA.  Welcome to the sickness.
    Love smoking chicken...but they are hard to keep lit ;-) http://daveyrayland.wordpress.com/ Small Egg / Weber OTG 22" / CharGriller Trio / Masterbuilt 30" Electric
  • nolaegghead
    Griffin said:

You are gonna like having a dedicated stuffer, so much easier.

Is it more vampire sausage?

No, it's an Italian variant.  Lots of coriander, green onions, parsley.  Pork shoulder and belly.
    Niiiice!!! =P~ It would've tasted better if it was South Carolina deer though. Just sayin'... :P
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Griffin said: "I've been looking for hogs, but they've mysteriously disappeared. Haven't seen one in awhile. Maybe they know I'm looking for them?"  
    They are over at my cousin place in Comal County..They are safe over there she is a vegetarian.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • nolaegghead
    Y'all got wild pigs gone wild, we got da nutria invasion.  Invasive species done messin' up our bumpers and eatin' up our swamp land.  We need to be eatin' up the invasive species.  Sausage.
    Griffin I have seen many outstanding cooks and some really good cooks come from you. I have to say this is my # 1 most want a bite ( bite hell, want a whole ring of). That third picture is .......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin

It might have @Dyal_SC, it might have. Never had one from your neck of the woods.

@Austin_Egghead - I'm fine with that. They are a destructive pest, destroy land and crops and eat up all the deer feed anyway. I won't miss them.

@nolaegghead - what do nutria taste like? I remember an old cajun joke about a guy who went hunting every day. One day he took nutrasweet to catch da nutria, one day he took chicken wire to catch the chicken, one day he took duct tape to catch the ducks and I'm not going to be crude and say what he took the final day...

@Mickey - thanks. I do appreciate that. LMK next time you are in Dallas and I'll send a link home with you....if there's any left. I personally think this one is one of my favorite sausage pictures. Just getting warm and starting to sweat...image

Rowlett, Texas

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Wow. The pic above is awesome.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Son of a ...... WOW that looks good! What would shipping cost me to Alabama?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Griffin
    @shtgunal3 - an arm and a leg but free if you are in town. Mainly cuz I'm lazy and hate going to the post office. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

•  N I C E ! =D>
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    ^:)^
    Nicely done.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio