Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burnin' through the Lump

BuckeyeBob
BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Never guessed how quickly I would go through lump now that I have the Egg.  Not because it doesn't burn efficiently but rather because I use it so much.  In Chicago, there is an old-time charcoal distributor downtown named Berger Brothers, that distributes Royal Oak in it's many forms throughout the Midwest.  They will also sell to the public along with wood chips and chunks.  You can buy 40# bags of Nature Glo, which is the Royal Oak packaged lump for commercial use, for $20 or a 20# bag for $10.95. Nature Glo gets a "Highly Recommend" on the Naked Whiz site. Back in April, I bought this:

And worked my way through it in four months, which is a lot for me.  Headed back downtown and reloaded this week but decided to buy 20# bags this time as they are a little easier to handle.

It havent used yet but supposed to be the same as the Nature Glo.  It is Royal Oak made in the US but packaged for the Canadian market, hence the French writing on the bag.

And please ignore the Kingsford briquettes in the background.  That is just leftovers from my Weber days!

Another one of those unexpected costs of owning an egg but one I will gladly pay!

Clarendon Hills, IL

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    I'm with you on the usage of lump. I noticed my electric bill was less in the spring, but I'm certain my lump costs just as much if not more than my electric bill.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Could you supply an address/phone for Berger Bros.?  We get into downtown area as the wife like to go to Chinatown near Cermak, so it probably isn't too far away and we always end up taking scenic routes anyway.  I can load up the trunk before returning to Iowa.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    I have a spare bag of Kingsford in my garage as well, right next to my Wicked Good.

I hate to throw it out.. But I'll never use it.
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    That's the right one for Berger Brothers. Just East of the Kennedy off of Division. Right on the corner of Cherry and Division. Very old looking building and looks closed from the outside. You order rough a little window and then they bring out to your car. Don't be scared off by their personalities. For whatever reason, always seem friendlier when they come outside than when you are ordering. Also, they are only open until 4 Monday-Friday and closed weekends. And cash/check only. No credit cards. A little bit of a hassle but a great deal and great lump. Good luck.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607

old thread but i was down in the city for an appointment and was 5 mins from bergers so i stopped by... it should be a landmark building  lol

picked up 2- 20# bags of RO for $24.25 w/tax

it was an ok deal but not a killer deal.

if i am down there i would stop but wouldnt go out of my way