Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Meet the new addition!

CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 1,013
Pulled the trigger and got a small from someone on Craigslist. Can't wait to take it camping with us next weekend.

Needs a new gasket...any advice? Assuming Nomex is the way to go?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
image.jpg 1.9M
·

Comments

• The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,520
    edited March 2013
    nomex is fine. I still burned mine off my large (upper) but I was wokking. I just have it on the bottom nowand its perfect. So, save you some money and put nomex on the bottom only and save the other half for when/if you need it on either one of your eggs down the road.

·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,906
    edited March 2013
    Thats great! You are going to love traveling with your small! 

I just changed mine a few weeks ago and this is the one BGE sent me with my warranty it is the self adhesive high temp BGE one and I'm pretty happy with it. 

Here is my post when I changed mine of course you don't have to take the dome off but I had my hinge installed upsidedown from the dealer and wanted to flip it. New handle and gasket change for the Small BGE 

I put the nomex you need to have spray adhesive with on my large and it has held up well. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • You are going to love it!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,522

Is this your only egg or is it an addition to another? The small egg is very versatile, IMHO. You can really turn out some serious stuff with it and I for one am very happy I got it.

I too found mine, very sparingly used, on CL. Got to keep an eye out. :)

Anyway, congrats. And a voyage to begin.

Advise: get the woo and indirect setup from Tom. @Ceramic Grill store.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 1,013
    @Aviator - I have a Large too that I've had about a year.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,269
    Used my Small for years w/o a gasket.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • There's a small nest for sale on CL too.

·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    Congrats on the addition!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    I am sooooo jealous. Congrats!

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,032
    Welcome to the large/small club! It's a great combo an a blast to cook on!

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,522
    Thanks CPARKTX, welcome to the club.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,331
    Congrats you are going to enjoy cooking on the small.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • egger aveegger ave Posts: 580
    edited March 2013
    I replaced the gaskets on mine with High Temp Silicon seal. Scrape the old gasket off, use acetone or another solvent to degrease. Apply the gasket material to the bottom edge. Cover with plastic wrap and close the lid. When the gasket sets up you are good to go.  
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 4 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. "Friends don't let friends cook with propane"
    ·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,359
    You will love it camping. Are you getting  the Egg Carten also?

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,791
    You lucky dog you - 1. You get another egg  2. You find a good one on CL.

You're gonna have fun with it!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 1,013
    @RAC -- Yes, I placed my order today in fact.  Do you have the Carten?  If so, do you set your egg directly in the Carten or use feed or any other type of insulation?  
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,906
    I have the eggCarten for my small and I don't put anything under the egg. But check out @Mickey 's post Egg Carten help please he bought a silicone mat to have some insulation to keep his table from getting too hot. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,359

I use no insulation and no problem with heat. This is what I use for camping and at home.

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,719
    You are going to love it!

+1 it is an awesome addition to your camping equipment. It is such a kick, sitting back in your lawn chair relaxing and watch the egg work. Sometimes we eat better camping than we do at home.

;)
    ·