Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Salado Brisket Número Dos.

Options
2»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    CT - have a working theory here.   Did you use the DW to control the temp or the bottom vent?  BTW, looks effin' delicious.
    CT - have a working theory here.   Did you use the DW to control the temp or the bottom vent?  BTW, looks effin' delicious.

both. Draft door open an inch or 2 and daisy shut down with tiny slits
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Ok, so that blows my theory.   I was thinking you might have the top wide open and the bottom controlling.
    Ok, so that blows my theory.   I was thinking you might have the top wide open and the bottom controlling.

This would be cool to figure out. We do get tons of guys asking. I've done this exact same set up before with the cold meat and very low fire and it did the same thing. We are missing something......
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Do you inject the brisket? I have cooked mine basically the same as you do but I always get a smoke ring. I do boil au jus, bacon grease and all the hard fat I trim off the brisket and inject it. I wonder if all that added fat injected has anything to do with it.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Come on meat glue dealer! Tender quick that beast and bask in myoglobin's glory in it's tango with smoke!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    henapple said:
    it's brisket...not beyonce... no need to put a ring on it.
    That line needs to be made into a bumper sticker... now.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Come on meat glue dealer! Tender quick that beast and bask in myoglobin's glory in it's tango with smoke!

NEVER!
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    I seem to get smoke rings every time. Like you, I keep the temp at "low and slow" to get the smoke ring. I ramp up the temp after having obtained the bark I want.   I use the Dalmation Rub (50% kosher salt -  50 % 16 mesh black pepper) but I do not see how that would make a difference regarding a smoke ring. I use post oak but still do not see how that can make much difference either.

Sorry...not much help....just puzzled.

Springram 
    LBGE and Mini
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Man that look's awesome! Was it gone in under 5 minutes?

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited March 2013
    Options

NEVER!
    Hmm.... You can just sneak-attack naysayers with kickass brisket after they make fun of you because the brisket doesn't look like the local chain's offering. Huzzah!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

@RAC- We actually had leftovers. Just the four of us last night

@jrwhitee- I don't inject with anything. just rub and smoke.

@springram- I do it the same way but I use bad Byrons most of the time for the rub.

I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it. This kind of stuff keeps Nola and Eggselsior up at night. Books will be read, internets will be scoured.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Yeah right! Keep your secrets closely guarded while everybody else continues going simple and dying on the vine

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I'm sleeping well now days. :D Seems the trick to a smoke ring is moisture - mop the meat and it encourages more of a smoke ring. 

This is a very compelling article based on actual experimentation.

http://www.genuineideas.com/ArticlesIndex/smokeRingMoist.html

Yeah right! Keep your secrets closely guarded while everybody else continues going simple and dying on the vine
    I hope your puppy pees on your carpet today.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I hope your puppy pees on your carpet today.

Hahah...Steven essentially accused you of being an "Aaron Franklin"!
    Options
    Bring over a pack of camels....I'll show you how to make an awsome smoke ring.... :D
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm sleeping well now days. :D Seems the trick to a smoke ring is moisture - mop the meat and it encourages more of a smoke ring. 

Then I'll never have one. I ain't mopping nothing.

I think if you put some water in your drip pan it helps too. My nephew makes crap briskets on a WSM with kingsford and his smoke rings are 1/2 inch deep. I would try that before mopping (shudder) a brisket.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Nailed another one; well-done. No turbo brisket for you :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Nailed another one; well-done. No turbo brisket for you :)
    nope. I still think I could cook it at 275-300 and it would be the same. I think it's all in the rest.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Looks awesome!!

I don't know if it makes any difference and its more work, but I pull the plate setter (now it would be the AR) and everything and drop in a fresh chunk of wood every hour for the first couple of hours until I get too drunk and pass out...I mean go to bed.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nolaegghead
    Options

Then I'll never have one. I ain't mopping nothing.

I think if you put some water in your drip pan it helps too. My nephew makes crap briskets on a WSM with kingsford and his smoke rings are 1/2 inch deep. I would try that before mopping (shudder) a brisket.

It's not like you'll have to turn your man card in.  Put a little aqua in a spray bottle (a manly one) and hit it every now and then with mist.  You'll also pick up more smoke when the outside of the meat is moist.
    Options
    I will be up at night for many nights thinking about this. Maybe something with water, NO2 from wood smoke, glutamate in the meat and salt in the rub. Science is a lonely man's game....
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    pour half a coke zero over it... per @nolaegghead.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    Options
    @Cen-Tex, I am going to try my first brisket this weekend and want to do the rest at the end you mention. Is this two wraps of foil, a couple towels and into the cooler? 3 hours? Thanks for the recipe and the slicing photos in the other thread.
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    CincyTiki said:
    @Cen-Tex, I am going to try my first brisket this weekend and want to do the rest at the end you mention. Is this two wraps of foil, a couple towels and into the cooler? 3 hours? Thanks for the recipe and the slicing photos in the other thread.

You nailed it. Double wrapped and 2-3 towels depending on the size of your cooler.
  • CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    Options
    Thanks for the help! =D>
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    CincyTiki said:
    Thanks for the help! =D>

no worries. have fun and let us know if things go sideways. And they will. :))