Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best wood for brisket?

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's been a while since I've done brisket, and I have a lot of time on my hands this weekend. I have a smallish (4.5 lb) brisket rubbed and ready to cook. I'm either going to start it late tonight or early tomorrow morning.[p]In the past I've done them with oak, and they've turned out fine. I think Nature Boy has used pecan (a wood I'm really growing fond of), and apparently in Texas they swear by mesquite. I'm thinking of a mixture of oak and pecan. Would that make it too smokey, or produce a strange smoke taste because of the combination?

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]Have you considered mixing hickory or pecan with a fruit wood like apple? The combo is really nice.[p]Cathy
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    Cat has a great suggestion. I have never tried hickory with beef, but just a little mixed with pecan or cherry would probably have a very nice complexity.[p]Mesquite is always great with brisket, but in a league of its own as far as flavor. You can't go wrong.[p]Where did you get your chunk-o-chest?? Fat cap?? Cost? How does it look?? Did you hit the Laurel Main Street butcher??[p]Happy smokin.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    Nature Boy asks:[p]Where did you get your chunk-o-chest?? Fat cap?? Cost? How does it look?? Did you hit the Laurel Main Street
    butcher??[p]No, I bought it at Shopper's Food Warehouse. I wasn't looking for anything special, just a decent sized brisket I could barbecue. It was the last one they had. Not much fat on it, but I think what it has will do. [p]Shoppers usually has good prices for meat. This week they have bone-in NY Strip family packs on sale for something like $3.79/lb. [p]I've never used mesquite for a low n slow cook - I've heard that it cna get bitter if you use too much. I already have some partially burnt oak chunks from last night's steaks, so I'm leaning toward oak, with maybe a hanful of Jack Daniel's chips (which are also made from oak).

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    Oak is also great. Man, I haven't cooked one since eggfest![p]Thanks for the info on the brisket. I shop mostly at Shoppers and I asked the butcher about their briskets and fat caps. He said some of them trim them off all the way, some just trim part of it. I guess it depends who is workin...they also put it fat down in the styrofoam, and wrap it so you can't tell. Maybe I should ask them to open it for me so I can look! Or just stand there in the isle ripping the packages open. [p]I am going soon...must have chunk-o-chest.[p]Have fun.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ