Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New dog

Didn't want to post about putting my dog down a couple of weeks ago. We weren't going to get another one for a while but we were decided on a Bernese Mountain when we were ready. A litter was available locally so we pulled the trigger

photo parkerpuppy.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited March 2013
    Sorry about your lose. My dog of 14 years past in January and it still hurts. Maybe I should follow your lead and get another one. Dogs are good about making you feel better. Your's looks cute.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Thanks. Left it too long and let him suffer. Hurts a lot.

photo DSC01428.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2013
    Steven I am very sorry for the loss of your friend. We felt as you to hold off. Found out Linda and I only talked to each other thru the dog (that is what 44 years togather will do). Got a new girl and all  was right with the world except the hole in our hearts, that still took time. Is the new one a boy or girl? Named yet?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• we went through the same about a year ago. Tough to lose one of the best of all times (he was awesome) but we love the new pup and it made it easier on the kids. Looks like a really cool dog
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven

Thanks guys,

We picked him up last week and it was a happier house right away. Bear was the best dog I have ever had.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    nice looking pup, neighbor has one, only dog in the neighborhood that will tolerate my jumpin jack brit bouncing on his head, very mild mannered temperament. 
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Sorry about your dog, Steve.  We've all been through it (many times) so I know the hurt.  The new puppy will be a great friend, but will never replace Bear.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034

Hey Bud

Sorry to hear about Bear, I know how hard it is.

Chase is getting up there now.

Glad you got another pup, will have to get over this summer to meet him

Shane

• Little Steven

Thanks buddy!

I saw you mention the garlic on your lamb post. Another couple of weeks and a local market opens up near me. Best garlic I've ever had. I'll pick some up for you.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    It is hard to lose a pet...This new one will fill the void and make yall new memories. Missed you at Salado.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Little Steven
    Mickey said:
    Steven I am very sorry for the loss of your friend. We felt as you to hold off. Found out Linda and I only talked to each other thru the dog (that is what 44 years togather will do). Got a new girl and all  was right with the world except the hole in our hearts, that still took time. Is the new one a boy or girl? Named yet?

Thanks Mickey,

He is a boy. The tentative name is Parker. That's what happenss when you live with girls

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• We went through the same a couple of years ago, sorry about your loss, I know the pain!

Here's our new one who will be 2 this May :)

• Steve,

Sorry for the loss of your pet and congratulations on the new addition to your family.  We can commensurate with you as we went through a bit of a rough patch two years ago.  We lost our 17 year old cat named Buddy and we adopted two kittens to keep the existing cat company only to lose one of the kittens 6 months later. All is good however as the remaining kitten became good friends with the existing cat and the two of them have welcomed two abandoned cats we rescued last summer.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Steve, I am sincerely sorry for your loss; congrats on the new guy, though.

I don't know if you've read the "rainbow bridge" poem. It's for kids but it still brings tears to my eyes when I read it and think about my first dog. It'll be 15 years this May.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Welcome Parker - dogs are members of the family, no doubt about it. BMD was on our list a few years ago, great family dogs. He is lucky as he will probably get the "pre-wash" duty for pots and dishes as you whip something up on the egg. RIP Bear. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cspearce2
    cspearce2 Posts: 107
    Sorry for your loss. Congratulations on the new addition. Lost my English Springer of 14 years 1 year ago and a 16 year old golden retriever this past fall. Got a new ES right away! Everyone in the family can be mad at me except them! Much happier home.
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Sorry to hear about Bear. Our Sadie is over 11 now and I can see it coming. Tears me up just thinking about it.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Sorry to hear about your loss. I had to put down two dogs in less than 2 months, one couldn't live without the other. Waited for awhile before getting another one. They don't fill the hole in your heart, but they do warm it up. Congrats on new addition.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Little Steven
    Sorry to hear about Bear. Our Sadie is over 11 now and I can see it coming. Tears me up just thinking about it.

The big ones just don't live that long. Bear was 13 but I couldn't bring myself to make the call and he suffered when he shouldn't have.

Steve 

Caledon, ON