Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ribs, just so so

smokesniffer
smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum
Well tonight's meal was a late one. Ate at 9. Put one rack of ribs on the egg at 3:15 this afternoon. Followed Car Wash Mike's recipe, except for the spraying of apple juice and apple cider vinegar. Bumped the egg up in temperature after 3 hours. At about 5 hours they still didn't shrink a whole lot, and they didn't bend enough, so I bumped the egg up to 325 and mopped them and let them on for another 30 minutes. Pulled them off after 6 hours. SWMBO was not the fond of this batch, they seemed grislely, and they still weren't quite fall off the bone. Fall off isn't a huge disappointment but it almost seemed like it was a bad cut of rib. Anyone else ever had that. Not sure what I did wrong. Also if anyone has suggestions, I am all ears.

Cheers
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Where di you get them and what cut were they?
    I had some from costco, back ribs, about a month ago that simply would not lose their attitude. Only solution was a 3-2-1 method, then they were OK, not great just OK. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I love the CWM method. Never had anything but great results. I also get ribs from Costco and sometimes they are really meaty - sometimes taking up to an hour extra.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Well sometimes plans just don't work out, we had a couple of N.Y. strips last night and they did not live up to expectations either.

Gerhard
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

I too had some Costco ribs last night. I wanted to try the turbo rib method. I statred them at 315pm anticipating to eat at about 530 ish. 350 for 1.5-2 hours. Those things were so thick they took until 630 before I took them off. They were good but probably could have went another 45+ minutes, but we were hungry.

On a side note, I tried to do baby creamer potatoes in the egg with the ribs. I cut them in half, tossed with onion, S+P,  and some oil. They were int he egg for over an hour at 35o and were still hard. I brought them in and put them in the oven at 400, to try and have them come off with the ribs at the same time. They were cooking for over 1.5 hours total. They were softer but still not like they should have been. Anyone else ever have potato that just would not cook?

• smokesniffer
    Ribs were from a local grocery store, they were fairly meaty, but there seemed to be a bit of grisly meat to them as well. Could have been just a different batch, cant remember what cut they were. Not baby back for sure, maybe that is part of the problem. We will just chalk it up to experience, ( or lack of it :) ) Just wanting to keep SWMBO happy.  
    Large, small, and a mini
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    @hondabbq: Have you checked your thermometer? Boy, those times seem off for the temps.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Yeah. It was due to the fact that the ribs were so thick. I don't know how the ribs are at Costco in the us but where I live they are monsters.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    hondabbq said:
    Yeah. It was due to the fact that the ribs were so thick. I don't know how the ribs are at Costco in the us but where I live they are monsters.
    They are monsters here too. They just wear Hawaiian shirts and socks with sandals while on vacation. I don't know how the Canadian ones like to go on holiday.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

SS,

Mike only did babybacks that I remember and I  think he was at 250* the whole way...5 to 6 hours

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• smokesniffer
    LS good to hear from ya. Ur right Mike only did baby backs, I got these from Price Smart, I think, they were pretty meaty. But part of the ribs was grisly. Going to try it again in a couple of weeks. I remember what Mike said about keep on trying. 
    Large, small, and a mini