Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

You were born a roast, you were raised a roast, now you are a......

Options
.....steak.

First time I ever saw NY Strip Roast.  It was a dollar a pound cheaper than they ever have Strips on sale.

We had bad weather here, and lost power for about 4 hours.  I started cooking before the sun went down, but the power came back up.

Roast cut into steaks with baked potatoes.  Very tender juicy steaks.  The only thing I would do different is buy the biggest one they have so I can match sizes up.  One of these ended up much thicker than the other two.

Done direct, raised grid at 400.  Potatoes at 400 until soft.  Sour cream with onions and we were in business.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Very nice Doc.  Looks great.
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    the steaks look nicely marbeled.  Nice meal  there!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice job Doc, that potato looks huge!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    And I was about to comment on how many of docs previous cooks were carb free.....definatly not this one.Looks mighty tasty Doc!.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I forgot to mention, due to the power outage I used the paper towel / vegetable oil method for lighting for the first time.

It worked really well, and made a good sized bed of coals quickly.  If my Looftlighter dies I probably will just start doing this.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Good to know, thanks!  CVan't hold an egger down !!