Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So what goes on first stain or urethane?

Hey all....I am about to stain my table and then use the helmsman spar urethane on it.So do I apply the stain or urethane first.Also it says to sand between urethane coats but does this still apply if the stain is already on????

Secondly I am simply redoing a older table I already had in my garage and the legs are pressure treated and the top and lower shelf are straight pine,can I stain the pressure treated the same as the pine parts and will it look the same????

thanks.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    stain first... it Will not look same on different woods.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    If its got pine in it, trust me, forego the stain completely, especially if part is raw and part is pressure-treated.  
    You can stain pine and get good results, but it is a fine art.  Urethane only!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    So just urethane the pine parts and not the pressure treated parts??
    Is it necessary to sand between applications?

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    yes and best to let dry well between coats. do you have pics?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Will post a few pics once the table is finished.Gotta bring it to my father in law's place (ten hours from here) to get modified.Need to cut the legs down so the table is 32" inches in height and cut a 21" hole in the top plus build the shelf the egg will sit on.Wish I was more handy and id do it myself!!!