Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Shot At ABTs: Awesomeness

These were really, really good.  

I went with a variation of the recipes here on the board and this video on YouTube.  Bought a dozen jalapenos, then cooked up some chorizo.  Sliced the peppers to split them open (but not halve) and then cleaned out the seeds and the rest of the insides to remove as much of the heat as possible.  Stuffed some with Mexican cheese, the rest with a mix of the chorizo and cream cheese.  Wrapped with bacon and dusted with DP's Red Eye Express.  Here they are before going on the BGE:

I set the Egg to 350 indirect, placesetter legs down.  I cooked them on the grid for 50 minutes, turning once.  I probably should have gone a bit longer following the guidelines here, I'm not sure, as the bacon looked like it was a little crispy but not too much.  Here they are off the Egg:

I sliced them in half between the toothpicks so you could just pick one up and eat it.  They tasted great.  We ate them while they were still pretty hot (temperature-wise).  They had some heat for flavor from the peppers and chorizo, but not too much - just right.  Wife thought the ones with chorizo were much better.

I'd be interested to try these when they're halved like many of you do, but frankly I really liked them whole like this.  It's a bit of a mouthful but oh so good.

We were supposed to have my folks over to share but they ended up not being able to make it.  So now I have about six of these sitting in the fridge.  My folks are going to try them tonight.  Any suggestions as to how to reheat?
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Microwave them...
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    They are even good cold.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Lookin good! One thing I have found is I like to use thin bacon so it gets crispy. If using thicker bacon, I think I would pre-cook the bacon before wrapping.

To reheat I would fire up the egg again or use the oven.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    Lookin good! One thing I have found is I like to use thin bacon so it gets crispy. If using thicker bacon, I think I would pre-cook the bacon before wrapping. To reheat I would fire up the egg again or use the oven.
    Thanks for the tip.  This was pretty thick bacon.  It wasn't all that crispy but man was it good!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    +1 on the thinner bacon. These look really great. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    They look great! I like the idea of mixing chorizo in the cream cheese. I'm going to try that next time.

• Looks good!  I will try again soon.

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Lookin good! One thing I have found is I like to use thin bacon so it gets crispy. If using thicker bacon, I think I would pre-cook the bacon before wrapping. To reheat I would fire up the egg again or use the oven.
    +1 on the pre-cook...thin bacon sucks! (in my humble opinion)
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    I read on a different post earlier the week to microwave the bacon for a few minutes first,don't know if this would help or not but it was suggested before. They look damn good to me as they were..good job!!!

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Cooking the ABTs a bit longer will help to take the bite out of the jalapenos. I really like the idea of using chorizo in them. In my house there are never any left over for the next day.

Just starting to see more peppers at the store so I can see some ABTs inn the near future.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Next time take them a step further. Apply some Sweet Baby Ray's Raspberry Chipotle BBQ sauce 10-15 min before they are done. Really really puts them over the top for me!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    You do not need the tooth picks, the bacon shrinks as it cooks and stays on the pepper/filling. I like them halved. Some we sauce with a mild sweet sauce some with chipotle to add some zip - it is all good and yours look great!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!