Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

turbo pork butt

Well this is my first attempt at a turbo butt cook, got dome temp at 320 to 340, its cold so kinnda moving betwen the two, not to concerned about that. Going for IT of 200, does this sound good? Also I have it foiled, I heard no foil no turbo, guess I'll see what happens. 

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Turbo butt cooking starts with cold meat --  cooking as low as you can, while exposing maximum smoke to the butt until you reach a minimum internal temperature of 160 degrees, at that pojnt the butt gets wrapped in a few layers of foil to seal the meat up and prevent it from loosing any juices.  Back on the grill -- at that point you can bump the temperature up to 300 or 330.  Continue cooking til a 200 degree internal is met !
  • Well next time I will do it right. This time I will chalk it up to a new experiment.  
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    What temp you working at @chris123stock?

I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Chris, what temp did you foil at?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @chris123stock- begin with the end in mind-if it turned out well then just remember how you got there.  Turbo is a high temp cook method that can vary by many variables.  Just learn from the journey and change up as you want.  The beauty of the BGE is that almost any road will get you there.  Bottom line-enjoy the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Well I foiled it for the entir time, holy moly lot of juice.turned out real nice. Pulled good and the taste is good. I will try other ways but this is a good one. A keeper.cooked for about 6 hrs at 330 for most.imageimage
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Looks very good. New style of cookin a butt so you get to name. I think Mickey coined Turbo, 500 and myself came up with Nitro. So watcha gonna call it?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Humm I dont know but I will think on that. 
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Given the highntempnthe whole time, how about "Hot Butt"? ;)
  • I think the term I will use is foiler, it sounds devious and mysterious lol, kinda like a vilan in batman or something, I guess its like I wanted to do the right thing and BAM I did the opposite like a bad guy. Ok that a load of crap but WTH it sounded good to me. Foiler is my term. I know im not the first to screw that up, just the first to admit it.  8-}
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    If it turned out great and everyone that got to eat it was happy I would say that is a great cook! Far from a screw up. Most of my guests could care less how I got there if the end result was tasty! I almost always tweak recipes to make it work for me and the people I am cooking for, unless I want to copy the recipe exact and I usually say so. Many ways to create great food on the egg and you just discovered another one!  =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I think the term I will use is foiler, it sounds devious and mysterious lol, kinda like a vilan in batman or something, I guess its like I wanted to do the right thing and BAM I did the opposite like a bad guy. Ok that a load of crap but WTH it sounded good to me. Foiler is my term. I know im not the first to screw that up, just the first to admit it.  8-}
    I like it.

• I think the ter I will use is foiler, it sounds devious and mysterious lol, kinda like a vilan in batman or something, I guess its like I wanted to do the right thing and BAM I did the opposite like a bad guy. Ok that a load of crap but WTH it sounded good to me. Foiler is my term. I know im not the first to screw that up, just the first to admit it.  8-}
    I like it.

=)) :)) thats awsome, i should uee that for my profile pic. 
  • Solson005 said:
    If it turned out great and everyone that got to eat it was happy I would say that is a great cook! Far from a screw up. Most of my guests could care less how I got there if the end result was tasty! I almost always tweak recipes to make it work for me and the people I am cooking for, unless I want to copy the recipe exact and I usually say so. Many ways to create great food on the egg and you just discovered another one!  =D>
    Yes I know you dont really screw up if its good, and no one is throwing up or a wicked ass case of diarrhea. I love to try new ways and talk a whole mess of trash. Also this might be just me, but during thr FTC I use country music in the cooler? Have you ever tried this?
  • Solson005 said:
    Yes I know you dont really screw up if its good, and no one is throwing up or a wicked ass case of diarrhea. I love to try new ways and talk a whole mess of trash. Also this might be just me, but during thr FTC I use country music in the cooler? Have you ever tried this?
    This seems to bring on a richer flavor
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I'll have to give it a shot next time! B-)
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    ddegger said:

what about the J Lo?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Does this mean this is a "FOILER ALERT???"
    Flint, Michigan
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    henapple said:
    what about the J Lo?
    Would that make it the Badonka-donk?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    or the " beer shelf"..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Beer shelf, well for me anyway. then I guess that's why I'm going with buttman.